TWS Shutting down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWS Shutting down?

Sorry if this has already been hashed out in the forums.

I ran across a motorcycle racer this weekend who said he heard they are shutting down TWS in the next couple of years.

Truth, rumor or fiction?

The owner did early this year or late this year, and it's for sale for ~12.5M IIRC. They're smoking crack if they expect to sell anytime soon, esp. since it would need LOTS of investment to become a spectator oriented track.

Want to level everything to put in houses? Who knows what kind of ground pollution is there, but redevelopment could trigger some expensive remediation.

Regardless, my recommendation is to enjoy it while you can!
    Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
    '08 Ridgeline RTL
    '02 Z06

Comment

LSRPCA already has their dates up for next year

It has been for sale for 2-3 years
      Coop
      Life Member 57
      Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time
      It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
      Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

I talked to someone this weekend that, well, would know exactly what the status of TWS is.

The word is that the asking price has been lowered (from 10.5 M to 9.5 M), but that the powers-that-be are asking way too much. Apparently the valuation is more in the 3-4 M price range.

Who knows. There is a concert happening there in the fall ("Big Texas Music"), and the promoters are doing some things to the facilities already (new fences, filling in the ditch when you turn left from the tunnel, better lighting, clearing out debris, etc.) Apparently the concert promoters were going to buy the facility outright, but the finances just didn't add up.

Comment

I've heard pretty much the same as above - for now, you should assume business as usual.

Comment

concerts and track event at the same time would be neat!

Comment

Originally posted by medicalstudent View Post
              concerts and track event at the same time would be neat!
              Yes it would, wouldn't it? Hmmm

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
              2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
              Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

It would be neat until you realize the masses of people crowding the pits spilling beer all over your car! Not to mention the traffic jams getting in and out. But a good band Sat. night just for the DE regulars would be a nice bonus!
                Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                '08 Ridgeline RTL
                '02 Z06

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                  It would be neat until you realize the masses of people crowding the pits spilling beer all over your car! Not to mention the traffic jams getting in and out. But a good band Sat. night just for the DE regulars would be a nice bonus!
                  yeah, that would be nice! I know Steve (servicemangler) has whipped out his electric guitar fully amped before on a Saturday night.

Comment

I've heard those rumors for years. But with College Station expanding in that direction I do wonder when noise issues will be too much for the neighbors, or when land valuation will climb too high and someone will buy it for other purposes. Has to be expensive to remove a race track though.

Speaking of noise and neighbors, just why do people buy a home close to an existing airport / race track / downtown music district and then start complaining about the noise that was there before they moved in???

Comment

Originally posted by medicalstudent View Post
                      yeah, that would be nice! I know Steve (servicemangler) has whipped out his electric guitar fully amped before on a Saturday night.

During one of the Porsche Club events my band - Solero played under the big tent that was set up in the middle of the paddock. Bring forth the Rock and Roll!

Comment

Is that an offer?

sigpic
                        2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
                        Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Originally posted by servicemangler View Post
                          During one of the Porsche Club events my band - Solero played under the big tent that was set up in the middle of the paddock. Bring forth the Rock and Roll!

Comment

Originally posted by bjurasz View Post
                            I've heard those rumors for years.
                            Exactly. This rumor comes up every year near the end of the season. Given the fact that NASA already has dates there next year along with a few other clubs(PCA as noted above), I wouldnt expect it to close any time soon. Its generating revenue as it is, and until the the land is worth enough to put something else there, its not going to close.

Comment

well it is official TWS has been sold.

The new owner is a Bill Mather from College Station and the LSRPCA has been told that the track will remain open.
                              Coop
                              Life Member 57
                              Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time

Comment

What does Misty know?

sigpic

Comment

I guess a little more or about the same as the LSRPCA Club

The new owner may come and talk to us Saturday
                                  Coop
                                  Life Member 57

Comment

Glad to hear the track is still going to be open. I would hate to have to go learn another track.

Comment

Yeah, TWS and Nurburgring are all you know...

But you're a fast mf on both!

sigpic

Comment

Man, some times. What are your plans thursday?

Comment

Working...
                                        X