Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what's so great about Texas?

Hi fello S2Kers!

2008 is looking to be a year of change in my household. My wife is in line to get a promotion and was told that her best career path would be for us to move to either Houston or the DFW area. This will occur either mid or end of 2008.

While she's over the moon about the opportunity (having grown up in Arlington), I'm a little so-so about the prospects.

I've moved all over the country for work in my 7 post college working years and have really started to enjoy Indianapolis.

So here's your chance to chime in with your state/civic pride...

1.) Sell me on the positives and negatives of Texas as a whole.
    2.) For those in the DFW / Houston areas...sell me on positives/negatives on your area.

Thanks in advance on which should be an interesting read...

B
    "No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning. "

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. "

2004 AP2 Track Rat
    2007 TL Type S
    2008 TSX

Its Hot Like Sauce in the summer, Dunno know if thats a good thing oh and theres a huge Sk2 Community, lots -O- BBQ, and Curts shop

Back Home

Comment

Would be nice to know what you like or what your looking for.

'06 Laguna Blue - Sold

Comment

Texas positive: Pretty decent real estate pricing even in the larger cities.
        Texas negative: If you're on a road trip intending to go out of state it takes forever just to leave Texas.

Houston positive: It's not Dallas. Seriously, though:
        Houston postitive: We have excellent and reasonably priced restaurants with cuisine from all sorts of cultures. I've seen better selections in other places but you'd have to go to New York or the SF Bay Area IMO to do better.
        Houston positive: Real feeders on all freeways except right around downtown. This might sound odd, but try to "simply" hop off the freeway in San Antonio and make a U-turn. Good luck!
        Houston positive: A very strong job market that tends to hold up well even during the down times. This and the low cost of real estate go really well together.
        Houston negative: Butt ugly but that's really mostly a negative for the tourists.
        Houston negative: Mosquitos.
        Houston negative: Humidity. Though you'll feel right at home if you visit a tropical destination on vacation.
        Houston negative: Mass transit -- actually the lack thereof. It will probably get better but don't count on Metro buses to get you anywhere in less than 3-4 hours (exception being the commuter buses which are very good). However, if you really want to see bad traffic try Austin.
        Last edited by takeshi; 12-17-2007, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Pros:

- It almost never snows, so the S is a legitmate year round car, in fact usually the best time of year for top down cruising is late fall/early spring.
          - Tons of high tech industry, when I go back to Michigan to see family I often feel like I am going back in time 10 years.
          - If you like going to Track Days or autocrossing, there are a ton of options.
          - Both DFW and Houston have pretty stout S2k communities. Houston's is of course very well known here, the Dallas crew has their forum on the other site, or you can go to www.s2000.org

Cons:

- It literally gets hot as hell in the summer. It took me the better part of 5 years to get acclimated to it after living in Michigan for most my life. You'll get to a point where 85 with a light breeze feels cool Houston is probably the worst heat wise because it's right on the Gulf and the humidity is almost always through the roof.

And that's the only real con for me. I honestly love living here, and wouldnt consider moving unless some employer was offering me a LOT of money to do so.

Comment

houston, home of lonestar... thats all that needs to be said

Comment

DFW is okay. The traffic is getting ridiculous, though (though that might be true everywhere.... what the heck happened in the last 5 or 10 years????). Given the choice, I'd much rather live in the Ft. Worth area than Dallas (arlington is kind of both/neither. It's okay).

If Houston is looking like a real possibility - take a week long trip there during the middle of the summer and make sure you can deal with it before moving there. Some people who grew up in Houston love it and think it's the best place in the world. Everyone else HATES it.

Comment

Originally posted by alvanderp View Post
                Pros:
                - It almost never snows, so the S is a legitmate year round car, in fact usually the best time of year for top down cruising is late fall/early spring.
                I just realized that's a big one. I have been reading about people garaging their S's for the winter and thinking "Huh? Why would you do that?". Winter's definitely the time to drive top down down here. We see snow maybe once every 10 years in Houston. We do get ice for maybe one or two days each year -- it seems more often in February. If there is ice, do not go out. We can drive through deep water (well, not in the S), pouring rain and all that but we have no clue when it comes to ice.

Originally posted by Kaiser442 View Post
                If Houston is looking like a real possibility - take a week long trip there during the middle of the summer and make sure you can deal with it before moving there. Some people who grew up in Houston love it and think it's the best place in the world. Everyone else HATES it.
                I grew up here and can't deal with the summers. I wouldn't say it's the best place in the world but it has a good combination of pluses that probably aren't readily apparent if you've only visited for a few days. An odd example is that my ex has a career that would be difficult in other cities but there's enough diversity leading to a lot of ethnic restaurants and the cost of living is low enough that many people have the disposable income to make her job not only viable but she was approaching 3 digits last I heard.

Houston is really a large enough city that you should be able to find whatever it is you're looking for. Where you live within the city can also make a huge difference. I know most people live further out but I wouldn't be able to stand Houston if I didn't live inside the loop.
                Last edited by takeshi; 12-17-2007, 11:49 AM.

Comment

don't know much about Dallas, so this is about Houston.

I think we have the best S2KCA Chapter, Lone Star
                  Homes are the cheapest in the country, 3000sq/ft can be as low as 200K
                  Except for a month or so, our winters are great driving weather, 50-70degs during the day
                  More track days as a group than just about anyplace in the country, & tracks
                  everything is green, and just about anything will grown
                  MsS2000 said a lot of shopping places, malls

Traffic not the worst, not the best. can be really bad depending on where you live and the time of day you travel.

I don't like it here because of my allergies, right now I am off/on sick for the next 3 months
                  The summers are HOT, HOT, & HOT
                  your summer Electric bill will
                  The bad month in the winter, is like those days up north where the wind feels like it is cutting right into you soul.
                  Spring & Fall, may only be a couple of weeks long
                  RAIN
                  Coop
                  Life Member 57
                  Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time
                  It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
                  Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

Do NOT live out in the burbs, live close to where you work. The biggest threat to your quality of life is sitting in a car for more than 2 hours a day in traffic. Other than that, you will find that there is plenty to do and plenty of good s2k friends to hang out with.

Your summer electric bill wont suck if you just insulate the hell out of your house.

Comment

I'm a native Houstonian. I love this place! Sure it's hotter than hell here in May-November...that's a slight time frame exaggeration...but that's what a/c is for.

You definitely get more bang for your buck in the housing market (especially with the foreclosure rate going on in the country).

There was only one day last year when I was hesitant to drive because of ice...I waited until noon to go to work since I had to drive over a bunch of bridges.

We do lack public transportation BIG time! The light rail system they are developing is becoming more and more useful.

I think you should live where you want and NOT gear it around where you work. It's convenient to live near work, but people shouldn't limit themselves. Work isn't life. Rush hour lasts from 6:15 am-9ish am and then picks back up around 4 and goes until 6:30-7. So regardless if you live close to work, if you intend to do anything else in your morning/evening and it's not right next door, you'll sit in traffic. It's a way of life.

Living next to the Gulf is a major plus. No, it's not polluted like everyone seems to think. If you are by the ship channel, then that's different, breathing the air in that area is bad for you. But over in the Galveston/Freeport area it's fine. The water isn't clear because of the rivers that flow into the Gulf so near by, not because of pollution. I grew up swimming in the Gulf and I've fished and eaten the fish on many occations from the Gulf and I'm perfectly healthy. If you don't believe me, look on Google Earth....find where the rivers flow into the Gulf and you will see where the muddy water comes from.

OH! One more REALLY positive thing......the price of gasoline here is probably the cheapest you will find in the whole country! That's how many people can afford to fill up 40 gal diesel trucks.

The saying here goes, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute...."

Comment

Originally posted by Yvette View Post
                        OH! One more REALLY positive thing......the price of gasoline here is probably the cheapest you will find in the whole country! That's how many people can afford to fill up 40 gal diesel trucks.
                        Not really. That would be New Jersey.

Anyway. Since I am atransplant I can tell you that life ain't bad down here in H-Town. I moved here from Chicago and when people ask me how I like it in Houston, my standard answer is that "It ain't Chicago, but it sure beats the Chicago 'burbs." I like it down here; lots of things to do, for the most part friendly people, and the climate really isn't so bad (to me it's like a perpetual vacation. I don't mind the heat).

I would definitely caution you about the rush hour traffic, though. I am fortunate that I live close to where I work, so my commute is literally 10 minutes, including parking the car. Some of my colleagues are living in the sticks and they need an hour or so just to commute for 20 miles. Personally I wouldn't put up with that, but to each their own.

The housing market, again depending on where you live, is pretty solid. No major gains over the last few years (unless you live inside the loop i.e. I-610), but no crash either. I just had a conversation with a realtor and he said my home went up by about 2% per year for the last four years, so I still come out ahead if I had to sell it.

No state income tax, but they'll get you with property taxes, so be prepared for a sticker shock.
                        "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
                        Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

Wow, thanks to everyone who has responded thus far. Somehow, I knew the Texans wouldn't be shy about offering their 2 cents

Some really great pieces of advice and I'll digest it more tonight when I get home. I'm leaning slightly toward Houston as there is a very slight chance I can stay with my same company. That and in a brief search of houses, I was blown away by how affordable they were. (And this is coming from Indiana...one of the more affordable places to live in the Midwest).

More to come this later this evening...

What can be a little more specific on track days in the Houston and DFW area? It's no-where near close to being a factor in our decision, but it's important to me.

Brian
                          "No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning. "

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. "

2004 AP2 Track Rat
                          2007 TL Type S
                          2008 TSX

Comment

Keep us updated. We'll be glad to help you out if we can. My brother-in-law is a realtor if you need any property listings.

Good luck with the search!
                            Thanks,
                            Joe

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Tifosi27 View Post
                              What can be a little more specific on track days in the Houston and DFW area? It's no-where near close to being a factor in our decision, but it's important to me.

Brian
                              Lone Star will go as a group, club event 1-2 times a year, where Lone Star gives you a rebate for going if you miss out on "the drivers edge" discount. Lone Star has 3 instructors in our club and about 15 members who go to the track 5-8 times a year.

as for tracks & groups
                              http://65.99.200.75/showthread.php?t=11740

http://www.lsrpca.com/DE/DE.html
                              http://www.thedriversedge.net/
                              http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/ = Motor Sports Club = http://65.99.200.75/showthread.php?t=18429
                              Coop
                              Life Member 57
                              Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time
                              It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
                              Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

Close to the Houston area are:

1) Texas World Speedway(www.texasworldspeedway.com)
                                2) Motorsport Ranch - Houston(www.msrhouston.com).

In th DFW area you have:

1) Motorsport Ranch Cresson(www.motorsportranch.com)
                                2) Eagles Canyon(www.eaglescanyon.com), brand new facility, not sure if they are officially open yet.

Alot of the club members here run with the Driver's Edge(www.thedriversedge.net), a DE-only club that runs events at MSR-C and TWS mostly, although they have Eagles Canyon on the most recent "tentative" schedule that I have seen for next year. There are more than a few instructors at TDE that are members of this forum. TWS also has its own track days it calls MotorSports Club(MSC). They have about 10 weekends a year set for that that a few members here ran quite a few of. We have a couple instructors for MSC as well on this board. The local NASA organization has events at all the tracks mentioned above on the schedule next year, but as they are a racing organization, your DE heats are mixed in between heats for qualifying and racing for the rest of the participants. They arent quite as good on the 1x1 instruction as TDE or some of the other organizations are, but they are alot more lax about timing(you can rent transponders and get lap time printouts, as well as run the "time trial"class), and if you are experienced, they pretty much leave you alone. Plus its cool checking out all the real race cars

BMWCCA and PCA also run events at TWS pretty often. You'll find TWS is the most popular around here just because of how fun the track is. Its quite high speed(125+ not uncommon on the front straight if you are a decent driver), and a pretty long course. Its my favorite in Texas, and I have been to all the tracks mentioned above except Eagles Canyon.

Comment

Wow...this thread title caught my eye...being a native Houstonian. And, after reading everyone's input, there isn't much more to say...except for empasizing a couple of previously mentioned items.

Being an S lover, I like the fact that you can ride top-down pretty much all year round. In the summer, we blast the cold A/C with top down. In the winter, we blast the heater with the top down. It works! BUT the most appealling aspect is the S2KCA community here...we love getting together as much as possible...for just about ANY reason! :

Oh and just know that if you do decide to come to Texas...we ARE known for being "travellers". "Have S will travel" is an appropriate saying. We'll fill you in on this when you get here.

Comment

Originally posted by kraemer007 View Post
                                    The biggest threat to your quality of life is sitting in a car for more than 2 hours a day in traffic.
                                    See -- that's exactly what I don't understand. Real estate may be cheaper in the burbs but 2+ hours a day of your life adds up quickly IMO and that yard and neighborhood amenities are difficult to enjoy after spending 11 hours away from home but to each his own. I don't have kids or plan to so my perspective is skewed in that direction.

Originally posted by kraemer007 View Post
                                    Your summer electric bill wont suck if you just insulate the hell out of your house.
                                    It also helps to have your kitchen wall properly attached as I recently found out (result of some foundation issues). I love this old house (built in 1936) but it has some issues from age and some issues from prior "improvements" and "maintenance" thanks to prior owners.

Wow, thanks to everyone who has responded thus far. Somehow, I knew the Texans wouldn't be shy about offering their 2 cents
                                    We're happy to share info, warts and all. Honestly, probably the main things that keep me here are my friends and people I know.

If Houston looks like a go give us some more info on what you're looking for and we can probably help guide you toward areas that would be better suited for you.
                                    Last edited by takeshi; 12-17-2007, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Me!

Comment

Things I Learned In Texas

* Armadillos sleep in the middle of the road with all four feet in the air.
                                        * There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4, 998 live in Texas
                                        * There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Texas, plus a few no one has ever seen before.
                                        * Raccoons will test your melon crop, and let you know when they are ripe.
                                        * If it grows, it will stick you. If it crawls, it will bite you!
                                        * Nothing will kill a mesquite tree.
                                        * There are valid reasons some people put razor wire around their house.
                                        " A tractor is NOT an all terrain vehicle. They do get stuck.
                                        * The wind blows at 90 mph from Oct 2 till June 25; then it stops totally until October 2.
                                        * Onced and twiced are words.
                                        * Coldbeer is one word.
                                        * People actually grow and eat okra.
                                        * Green grass DOES burn.
                                        * When you live in the country you don't have to buy a dog.
                                        * City people drop them off at your front gate in the middle of the night.
                                        * The sound of coyotes howling at night only sounds good for the first few weeks.
                                        * When a buzzard sits on the fence and stares at you, it's time to see a doctor.
                                        * Fix-in-to is one word.
                                        * There ain't no such thing as "lunch". There is only breakfast, dinner and then there's supper.
                                        * "Sweetened ice tea" is appropriate for all meals, and you start drinking it when you are two.
                                        * "Backwards and forwards" means I know everything about you.
                                        * "Jeet?" is actually a phrase meaning, "Did you eat?"
                                        * You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done, or it's too dark to see.
                                        * You measure distance in minutes or hours
                                        * You can switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
                                        * Stores don't have bags. They have sacks.
                                        * You see cars with the engine running in the Wal-mart parking lot with no one in them, no matter what time of the year.
                                        * All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit or a vegetable.
                                        * You install security lights on your house and garage, and leave both unlocked.
                                        * You carry jumper cables for your own car
                                        * You know what "cow tipping" and "snipe hunting" are.
                                        * You only have four spices in your kitchen: Salt, Pepper, Ketchup, and Tabasco.
                                        * You think everyone from north of Dallas has an accent.
                                        * The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require six pages to cover Friday night high school football.
                                        * The first day of deer season is a state holiday.
                                        * You know which leaves make good toilet paper.
                                        * You find 100 degrees a "tad" warm.
                                        * The four seasons are: almost summer, summer, still summer and Christmas.
                                        * You know whether another Texan is from East, West, North, or South Texas as soon as he opens his mouth.
                                        * Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past-time known as "goin Wal-Martin" or "off to Wally-world".
                                        * You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good chili eatin weather.
                                        * A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola, or pop....It's a coke regardless of brand or flavor.
                                        "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
                                        Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

Working...
                                        X