Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Track junkies, check your insurance policies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track junkies, check your insurance policies.

I recently renewed my Progressive policy, and decided it would be a good idea to confirm my continued coverage for track events. Good thing I did, b/c Progressive has caught on.

Previously, the exclusion was for racing/competitive timed events. Now they've added an exclusion for "any driving activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack or racecourse."

Until/unless I get coverage for such events, I'm done since I can't stomach the idea of an uninsured loss.
    Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
    '08 Ridgeline RTL
    '02 Z06

I recently renewed and checked my policy with Geico and i am still covered. I even call and asked and they said I was.
    sigpic

Comment

Most insurance companies, in the past couple of years, have closed the coverage "loophole" for non-timed, non-competitive track events. Yes, they have "caught on".

I know for a fact that State Farm, in its Texas policies (and from what I know, the rest of the nation), does not cover me on the track anymore.

So, I know that when I grid up, I am not covered by any insurance, and I have to be prepared to walk away from my car if something happens. (hopefully I can walk away) IOW, I realize the risk that I am taking when I go to the track, and I know that I do not have any external insurance against that risk.

I don't think that a lot of people realize that risk, though. There's always discussions of track insurance coverage on many forums, and too many people rely on verbal "confirmations" of coverage from their insurance agent, which doesn't necessarily mean they are covered if something really happens. Or, they may be covered once, but then their insurance will most likely drop their policy. Realize that auto insurance is not intended to cover your car on a racetrack, timed/untimed, competitive/non-competitive. If you are "covered", it's because of a loophole, and insurance companies are quickly closing those loopholes with the increased popularity of track days in the US.

If I ever decide that I need insurance coverage on the track, I will purchase a policy specifically designed for coverage during track days. Right now, there is no company in the US willing to write such a policy, because it is next to impossible to find underwriting. There are discussions frequently on Rennlist about companies that seem to come and go that write track insurance, but it seems that they only write for a few months or so, and then their underwriters pull the plug.

If you're interested in overload on this subject, go search for "track insurance" on Rennlist.

--michael

Comment

I guess I am going to have to take a look at GEICO.....

Comment

Originally posted by blackflag View Post
          I recently renewed and checked my policy with Geico and i am still covered. I even call and asked and they said I was.
          I find this funny that Geico will drop up if you use a radar detector, but cover you at a DE
          Coop
          Life Member 57
          Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time
          It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
          Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

Last year at Barrett-jackson I was talking with a Skip Barber instructer and he said they had track events where you could bring your own vehicle and they said they had a underwriter who issued weekend policies for about $100.

Since my policy doesn't mention any exclusions, I'm going to take may chances. At the track event at Curt's Kevin from the DE said he didn't recall any instance where a driver's policy didn't cover once. After that you are on your own.

i wonder if Matt's, Phantom Exige, policy paid when he totaled it. Think I'll PM him and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S View Post
              I recently renewed my Progressive policy, and decided it would be a good idea to confirm my continued coverage for track events. Good thing I did, b/c Progressive has caught on.

Previously, the exclusion was for racing/competitive timed events. Now they've added an exclusion for "any driving activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack or racecourse."

Until/unless I get coverage for such events, I'm done since I can't stomach the idea of an uninsured loss.
              another reason while I just don't push my car past about 85-90%.
              My #1 goal since I have been going to DE's has been to drive my car home after the weekend.
              Coop
              Life Member 57
              Friends do things for friends because they matter, thanks Sean, Jeff, David & Curt. Camping time

Comment

That's why I have a dedicated trackbike. I won't be AS pissed if I wad it up. And I'd get any thing like that said over the phone in writing. Waaaay to many idiots working for insurance companies these days. Especially the non-service focused insurance companies like Progressive, Esurance and Geico.

Comment

Originally posted by bjurasz
                  Not sure why some people find making profits so deplorable. And, I'm pretty sure this is a world-wide phenonomen, companies all over the world want to make profits, not just American.

We might not like the fact that the loophole is being closed. And we also have to realize that just because we WANT something from our insuance carrier does not COMPEL them to provide it. We're free to want, they are free to supply or not. Just because we might want something does not give us the right to demand that someone supply it to us.

I agree. I don't like it, but corporations' primary responsibility is to optimize returns for their shareholders, not to make their customers happy to the detriment of their shareholders. If you don't like it, fill the gap in the marketplace or move to a non-capitalist country....I doubt you'd be happy w/ the move, though.

I have 2 great, nearly indestructible dirt bikes and 3600 acres of Hill Country property to thrash about on...that's where I'll go for my adrenaline fix as long as I'm not covered on the track.
                  Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                  '08 Ridgeline RTL
                  '02 Z06

Comment

well lets look at this a little deeper, there is track only insurance that you can buy, as long as you don't live in Texas, and one or 2 other states, or it was that way a few years ago. In the back of "grassroots motorsports" there is a company that will sell track only insurance. Last time I checked, it was about $400-500.00 (maybe less, it has been 3 years) for 10 events to cover $25K worth of car.

But the problem was, Texas law would not let them sell it in Texas to Texas drivers.
                    Coop
                    Life Member 57

Comment

Originally posted by weneversleep
                      I know, I know, we all say that it's safer be on the track than to make the drive to the track. But, after doing track events for 3 years, and watching the incidents that I've seen, you can't convince me of that anymore. It's categorically more dangerous to our cars and bodies to be driving at the limits of our cars (and ourselves) on a track than to be driving at 1-2 tenths (if that) on the freeway.
                      --michael
                      Michael you are correct, if you compare track driving to 1-2 tenths street driving, but most people with high performance cars, don't drive at 1-2 tenths, so for the most part this is still safer than trying to drive on the street at the limit.

But here again, it takes a little luck, skill and the ? of how hard do you want to push you & your car. The harder you push the more the chance of something happening.

With that said, you can push the car at place you choose, I will drive harder at MSR Houston than I will at TWS or MSR Cresent. I will also push my car harder at corners 5-6 than I will at 7 or 2, maybe because I have seen what can happen there.

Also if my car is not 100% ready, I don't drive. Like this coming weekend, I have a couple of problems and it will stay off the track, but I will be there.
                      Coop
                      Life Member 57

Comment

Originally posted by Ulrich
                        I do!

No, wait, I am not a customer... Nevermind.
                        beruhigen Sie meinen deutschen Freund. Dieses ist für Amerikaner.

Comment

Originally posted by Coop View Post
                          well lets look at this a little deeper, there is track only insurance that you can buy, as long as you don't live in Texas, and one or 2 other states, or it was that way a few years ago. In the back of "grassroots motorsports" there is a company that will sell track only insurance. Last time I checked, it was about $400-500.00 (maybe less, it has been 3 years) for 10 events to cover $25K worth of car.

But the problem was, Texas law would not let them sell it in Texas to Texas drivers.
                          I thought Mike Hardage (sp?) has his cars covered for racing/track events? (unless he doesn't do events in TX anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by medicalstudent View Post
                            I thought Mike Hardage (sp?) has his cars covered for racing/track events? (unless he doesn't do events in TX anymore).
                            we need to look into this and see if there is insurance that is now sold in Texas
                            Coop
                            Life Member 57

Comment

kraemer, geico has already been proven to be evil in the past. Do you really think they purposely don't exclude it to be good guys, or b/c they haven't yet recognized this as an unacceptable risk?

Progressive didn't exclude it previously, now they do. I suspect they're not the only insurance company restricting such coverage, but they're not all on the same schedule. I'm willing to bet that track event claims don't make insurance companies happy, and those w/ losses are probably keen to prevent recurrences of them. You can call it a driver education event or whatever you want, but in the faster run groups it sure feels a lot like racing. What other forms of racing are underwritten by insurance companies?

But don't get too upset, I'll sell you event coverage. Just tell me how much you want, and send me a check for 90% of that amt. Since I'm such a swell guy, I'll underwrite subsequent events for 50% off if you don't have a claim on your first event!
                              Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                              '08 Ridgeline RTL
                              '02 Z06

Comment

But don't get too upset, I'll sell you event coverage. Just tell me how much you want, and send me a check for 90% of that amt. Since I'm such a swell guy, I'll underwrite subsequent events for 50% off if you don't have a claim on your first event!
                                Now there's capitalism at its finest!

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
                                2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
                                Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Watch out the next time you open your shirt.........your heart might fall out.

Comment

Originally posted by hecash View Post
                                    Watch out the next time you open your shirt.........your heart might fall out.
                                    hey, it was a joke. I'm not really interested in becoming an insurer, just trying to make a point that you can buy just about anything for the right price.
                                    Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                                    '08 Ridgeline RTL
                                    '02 Z06

Comment

hey, it was a joke. I'm not really interested in becoming an insurer, just trying to make a point that you can buy just about anything for the right price.
                                      I guess that I came across too harshly. Mine was also intended as a joke.

Comment

This had all the makings of being an interetsing and informative thread. Chris - thanks for posting. But alas it turned into a political debate

Comment

Working...
                                        X