Watch out Time Warner Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch out Time Warner Customers

I heard that Time Warner was going to test charging by the kB for broadband access. Their first trial is in Beaumont TX with the hopes of rolling it out on a broader basis.

This doesn't sound good.

Yup. Though at least as far as the trial is concerned, it's only for new accounts; existing customers remain on the flat-rate plan. Just make sure not to move anytime soon...

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/arch...r_bandw_1.html

Makes me wonder if we'll see a 'clash of the titans' of sorts in the near term -- on the one hand, you have ISPs like TimeWarner or Comcast (who reportedly already have the same capability), and on the other hand you have a lot of new applications and business models that involve increased data transfers and bandwidth requirements. VoIP and video conferencing, anyone? Streaming video rentals from Netflix? Their management must panic when their new revenue stream potentially gets killed before it has a chance to take off...
    "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
    Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

Looks like TW is trying to drive new broadband customers to DSL.
      Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
      '08 Ridgeline RTL
      '02 Z06

Comment

Who's Time Warner??? We have Comcast now in Houston. :nonono: That's why I got Direct TV.

'06 Laguna Blue - Sold

Comment

I hate Time Warner with a bloody passion. It's one more reason why I was so thrilled to move to Hyde Park, where I can get Grande (who has a very limited service area). I had a few hiccups during installation, but it's been flawless ever since.
          "Be the change you want to see in the world."
          -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
          '02 S2000 NFR S/C
          '79 Vespa Primavera ET3 with cylinder kit to a whopping 135 ccs!
          Interviewing candidates for vehicle #4...

Comment

I'm in TW's service area, but still don't need them. DishTV + AT&T DSL make a great combo.
            Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
            '08 Ridgeline RTL
            '02 Z06

Comment

Originally posted by asnbanker View Post
              Who's Time Warner??? We have Comcast now in Houston. :nonono: That's why I got Direct TV.
              meh, since comcast took over , their on demand options increased dramatically and so did the HD channels i think were getting about 30 or a lil more hd channels now ... i hate satellite cause it always looses signal during rain.. and we all know how the houston weather is like

Comment

Not to worry, the great "telecommunications meltdown" is coming. This is just the beginning....
                http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...45FCBB5D25C%7D

Comment

I miss my FiOs! TW has terrible customer service.

Comment

I haven't lost signal once in the last 9 months I have had Sat. I also have 85 HD channels and that doesn't include the HD Premium channels or the HD sports channels. I have over 100 HD channels and at the same price as cable.

Originally posted by ScorpioXI View Post
                    meh, since comcast took over , their on demand options increased dramatically and so did the HD channels i think were getting about 30 or a lil more hd channels now ... i hate satellite cause it always looses signal during rain.. and we all know how the houston weather is like

'06 Laguna Blue - Sold

Comment

Alex has the newer "wide" dish which has a higher gain than the round dish and is less subject to rain fade.

Comment

Originally posted by kraemer007 View Post
                        Not to worry, the great "telecommunications meltdown" is coming. This is just the beginning....
                        http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...45FCBB5D25C%7D
                        I wouldn't quite call that a melt down. It is just a new CEO making his mark and making the board feel good about the ludicrous number of options they gave him. (which increase in value when he cuts cost)

However, Kraemer, you are always welcome back at AT&T.

Comment

No signal loss problems w/ my dish ex. in the very heaviest rains . When it does happen (very infrequently), I just catch up on all the programming on my HD DVR that I never have time to watch.

Kraemer, you're beginning to look like the boy who cried wolf. Sprint-Nextel's problems are related to (a) the wireless market and (b) to their lack of competitiveness in that market; not the market as a whole. I don't follow the telecom industry very closely, but there's plenty of $$$ flowing into it. You just have to offer products and services people want, and not over-invest in infrastructure & acquisitions.
                          Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                          '08 Ridgeline RTL
                          '02 Z06

Comment

Chris I don't agree. I think after the spectrum auction next week, you will see the beginnings of a serious power play. There will be some winners and some losers will be ripe for takeover.....

Comment

Here is what people think of why Sprint is sucking:
                              http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/18/p...g-with-sprint/

Comment

Originally posted by kraemer007 View Post
                                Chris I don't agree. I think after the spectrum auction next week, you will see the beginnings of a serious power play. There will be some winners and some losers will be ripe for takeover.....
                                Sure, there will be winners and losers. It's only natural...but the industry generates serious cashflow, so I don't think it's fair to characterize it being on the verge of a meltdown based on the performance of a weak, relatively undiversified player's problems.

"Meltdown" describes the mortgage industry, but telecom doesn't have near the same level of distress - they already had their meltdown 6 or 7 years ago.
                                Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                                '08 Ridgeline RTL
                                '02 Z06

Comment

I agree with Chris. Meltdown seems a bit overstated.

Things are much more precarious at the wireless chip companies than at the carriers. (look at RFMD & SWKS over the last week) #1 in the space lost 25% of its value. #2 in the space went up 15%.

With some exceptions, the carriers seem to be doing fine. Of course, there are always companies that struggle within an area.

Comment

One reason my company hasn't gotten into the mobile phone business - the lion's share of the $$$ go to the carriers vs. the hardware providers.
                                    Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                                    '08 Ridgeline RTL
                                    '02 Z06

Comment

BTW, I just took a look at Sprint's financial's. They were profitable in 05 & 06 and it looks like they will be profitable for 07 (just less).

Far from a meltdown. If you want to see true misery then look at the semiconductor business.

Comment

You influenced me to look, and I couldn't find any red ink.

http://library.corporate-ir.net/libr...30AM12-3v2.pdf

Sure, they have opportunity to improve their operations, but meltdown? LOL
                                        Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                                        '08 Ridgeline RTL
                                        '02 Z06

Comment

Working...
                                        X