Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Brother Is Watching: Texas Senate Endorses Camera Based License Identification Sy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brother Is Watching: Texas Senate Endorses Camera Based License Identification Sy

http://www.autospies.com/news/Big-Brother-Is-Watching-Texas-Senate-Endorses-Camera-Based-License-Identification-System-44501/

Big Brother Is Watching: Texas Senate Endorses Camera Based License Identification System

The Texas state Senate voted Monday to give federal, state and local authorities the ability to track and identify every passing vehicle on state highways.

The provision calling for "automatic license plate identification cameras" was slipped into the Senate version of the must-pass Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reauthorization bill. The provision was not part of the bill introduced in the state House of Representatives, whose less sympathetic members will have to accept or reject the entire 1274-page compromise hammered out by a conference committee. The House voted yesterday to instruct its conferees to insist that the House-passed ban on red light cameras remain in the final text.

The Senate's surveillance camera proposal promises taxpayer funds to the same private companies that operate photo radar and red light camera systems threatened by the House bill. License plate readers use the same basic technology as automated ticketing machines. Instead of tracking, for example, only those who exceed a certain speed threshold, the plate readers will store a video image of the front passenger compartment and rear license plate of every single passing vehicle. Optical character recognition software identifies the registered vehicle owner and allows for easy indexing of the time and location of travel for each person identified using the highway.

The Senate-passed bill gives police broad authority for the first time to use this information to prosecute any state or federal crime, as long as it is not a traffic violation "punishable by fine only." The bill also specifies that the cameras may be used to find suspects in amber alert cases, missing senior citizens and those accused of killing a police officer. The capability to search for suspects is exactly what troubles one civil rights group.
    Thanks,
    Joe

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

This place is seriously going to the dogs... Do these people somehow have an inferiority complex and think that they need to keep up with the Brits?
    "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
    Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

That really is going too far. I want the bad guys locked up but with this it's just a very short step to other things. Looks like there may also be a clear money trail here also.

Comment

Scary things are happenning!!!!
        S2KDays Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 | Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015 | Durango, CO 2016 | Fredericksburg, TX 2017 | SoCal, CA 2018 | Gettysburg, PA 2019

Rose Mary
        Casselton, ND

Comment

They will stop at nothing until every citizen is chipped with a GPS locater and a shutdown/terminate feature! This is really getting out of hand and really what can the people do about it.... NOTHING! They will always find ways around. GOV SUX

Comment

The government is way to involved in our lives. We need to starve the beast...
            A VA/WV Founding Member

Comment

The bill also specifies that the cameras may be used to find suspects in amber alert cases, missing senior citizens and those accused of killing a police officer
              So killing someone who's not a cop does not warrant special attention?

There are some instances wherein I don't mind sacrificing a few civil liberties in purist of actual criminals. If the authorities were tracking down a murderer or a abducted child, I have no problem with the government scanning my license plate in an effort to catch criminals.

If it was limited to that, I'd be fine. Problem is they never are and there is almost always a hidden agenda. The implementers of these procedures will release their concepts initially with very sounds reasons, such as saving the life of a child, but what they really want to do is start generating revenue. They won't bring their true agenda to light until they get their toys first. THEN they will slowly start to release, piece by piece, their true vision. How long till were living in the movie Demolition Man, and were all being fined for cursing everywhere we go?

And before you go saying "Let's make sure that those that are in charge of these systems be high quality trustworthy people", remember that power corrupts, and that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

While I think in principle the monitoring of license plates could be used for good, in the end it would be used to harass individual citizens and would end up being horribly abused. In the end, I trust no one, not even myself! Hell, I'm sure I'd end up abusing it myself to a certain extent. That neighbor that brings down the whole neighborhood or let's his dogs on my lawn? POW! Speeding ticket!

I vote no.

Jim
              I will take your mother out for a nice seafood dinner.. and never call her again!

Comment

The bill also specifies that the cameras may be used to find suspects in amber alert cases...
                Ah yes. The typical "Think of the children!!!" argument.

Comment

No offense to anyone but if people would keeps their kids in close quarters there would be no need for "AMBER ALERTS". Kids have no reason to be running free on the streets and in unsupervised situations.

Comment

Originally posted by BearNVa View Post
                    No offense to anyone but if people would keeps their kids in close quarters there would be no need for "AMBER ALERTS". Kids have no reason to be running free on the streets and in unsupervised situations.
                    No offense to you, but amber alerts often seem to be kidnapping cases, often by a parent who doesn't have custody. Keeping a kid in close quarters wouldn't do much good here. Besides, when a kid's life is in danger, what's more productive, finger pointing or finding the kid ASAP?
                    Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                    '08 Ridgeline RTL
                    '02 Z06

Comment

If someone wants to take a kid, they are going to take the kid, period. Kind of like locks are to keep honest people honest.

Amber Alerts are definitely needed at times, sometimes due to parent neglect, but more often than not due to villainous behavior. Regardless of why they're needed, they're needed and no, I'm not a parent myself.

Remember back when we were kids and we used to go all ove the place without helmets or parental supervision? We came out just fine. I'm sure there was the same percentage of predators out there, the only difference was what happened to them when the men of the neighborhood caught them!

IMO, turning the US into a gentler, kinder nation as allowed certain undesirable elements to remain on the fringes, and like a wild animal they will continue to prey upon normal society. Imagine what would happen to a sexual predator that was caught by the neighborhood in...

1900? Dead.
                      1950? Probably dead.
                      1975? Beat up real bad.
                      2009? Counseling.

I'm not saying that a sexual predator caught today should be killed by the neighborhood, but there definitely seem to be more of them around nowadays.....

I think I'm strongly turning this thread into a new and potentially undesirable direction. Apologies to the OP.

I stand by my opinion that speed cameras will eventually become an endless revenue stream for politicians, and will persecute society more than it will help it.

Jim
                      I will take your mother out for a nice seafood dinner.. and never call her again!

Comment

Stocking up on photoblocker.

Comment

Originally posted by rioyellows2k View Post
                          Stocking up on photoblocker.
                          I have serious doubts that that stuff actually works... Got any independent test you can point me to?
                          "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
                          Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

I'm also amazed at how much Big Brother we are getting these days. Cameras seem to be everywhere. But as a 42-year-old I'm not sure what scares me the most, how much Government can record my life, or how willing the younger crowd is to share their entire lives on the Internet. Big Brother's job can be made a lot easier when people do it willingly for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bjurasz View Post
                              I'm also amazed at how much Big Brother we are getting these days. Cameras seem to be everywhere. But as a 42-year-old I'm not sure what scares me the most, how much Government can record my life, or how willing the younger crowd is to share their entire lives on the Internet. Big Brother's job can be made a lot easier when people do it willingly for themselves.

Yeah, but if we did not leave our kids unsupervised then these situations would not happen.

Now, I have to agree. For some reason kids think that their MySpace page is only read by their friends. So they put everything there. Cell phone numbers, addresses and where they will be when. Sure makes the job of the petifile easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulrich View Post
                                I have serious doubts that that stuff actually works... Got any independent test you can point me to?
                                I'm sure their methods may not be the scientific method per se, but Mythbusters did an episode and the photoblocker spray didn't work at all.
                                2006 Lotus Elise

2006 BMW 330i sport 6MT

2002 S2000 New Formula Red (retired)

Comment

Working...
                                X