Harris Hill Track Day Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harris Hill Track Day Photography

Hey guys, I'll be photographing the track day at Harris Hill in November. And I do want to get some feedback before the big day, as well as introduce myself.

This is Bill Jurasz and I run Mercury Photography. I am a former S2000 owner and have tracked it at Texas World Speedway and Hallett. I also have tracked a Corvette and used to road race a shifter kart.

I cut my photography teeth as the official track photographer for Iron Rock Raceway their first two years and I spent even more time photographing out at Cross Creek Cycle Park (motocross). And if there was one thing I became known for, especially with the MX crowd, was that I tended to shoot a bit more artistic than the typical track photographer. Some liked it, some didn't.

Since we're down to one day at the track I have to change my plans a bit. I was planning to shoot "safe" on the first day, getting the more typical track shots. Relatively fast shutter speeds that show just a hint of rotation in the tires but generally insure that the bulk of my shots will be crisp and "keepers". And you typically can get a lot of shots of each car this way. But they aren't always the most interesting shots and can get a bit redundant. Then on day two I would get artistic and creative, slowing down the shutter, getting more motion blur, especially in the backgrounds. The shots (at least to me) are more dramatic and interesting. Its a more difficult way to shoot, and you end up throwing away a lot of shots. Each car gets fewer pictures overall, but the ones you get, to me, are much more interesting.

Here is an example of a "safe" shot:

Here is an example of slowing down the shutter:

I think you'll notice more motion blur in the tires, more motion blur in the background, and a slightly less crisp car in the slower shutter shot. So what I'm interested in knowing is OF THOSE ATTENDING WHO WOULD LIKE PHOTOS, WHICH TYPES OF SHOTS SHOULD I CONCENTRATE ON GETTING? Thanks for any feedback. It would help to know what the buyers are most interested in.

I'll be offering prints, individual digital files, or CD-ROMs with all images of one car ($60 plus shipping and tax). I also partner with a graphic designer in Houston who can do a custom poster, pricing to be determined later. Lastly, if there is interest, I might do an "event" book, making an 8x10 photo book that documents the entire weekend.
    Safe shots
    6.25%
    Artistic, slow shutter shots
    43.75%
    I'm fine with either
    50.00%

I have dozens of pics of my car at the track so , I am looking for something very artistic and with multiple S2000s mixed with my car.

See you at the track.
    2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
    Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
    Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Originally posted by speedracer View Post
      I have dozens of pics of my car at the track so , I am looking for something very artistic and with multiple S2000s mixed with my car.

See you at the track.
      I feel the same way about track photography and glad other do, too. I will certainly be trying for more artistic shots. The shot count per car will be lower, but I really do think the results will be more interesting.

So you do your part and keep yourself near other cars, and I'll do my part and capture those shots for you. I've got some good ideas already.

Comment

I will do my best to stay near other cars.
        2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
        Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
        Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Working...
        X