La Nina and the drought and Texas wildfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Nina and the drought and Texas wildfires

On a side note anyone been effected by these fires, there have been 2 less then a mile fire my home in just the last week alone.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20101243.shtml

Back Home

We had two fires over the weekend that were 2 and 4 miles from the house. Some bags are packed and sitting by the door - just in case.

Comment

They're all over this area, but closest major one is Steiner Ranch, which is about 5 miles away. I passed by there yesterday on my way to a friend's place in Lakeway, where we had a great view of the Spicewood fire from his front porch. It was pretty surreal, and the irony was that amidst all the destruction it produced one of the prettiest sunsets I've ever witnessed.

Best wishes for everyone in the affected areas to stay safe! I've never seen anything like this in my life, the magnitude of destruction is truly heartbreaking.
      Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
      '08 Ridgeline RTL
      '02 Z06

Comment

Yesterday evening, saw smoke rising from the west in Magnolia and from the south in Oak Ridge near where you're at.

Had a wildfire 1/4 mile away from my house a few months ago by 336/105. It was raining ashes instead of water.

'65 Honda S600
        '02 Honda Mugen S2000
        '10 BMW E90 M3
        '15 Mini Cooper

Comment

I've held off on replacing my top in hopes that this would bring rain - you know, kind of like washing the car causes it to rain - but so far, no luck.

Comment

I have 2 sets of pretty bald tires on my Ridgeline. Discount Tires told me I need to replace one set, I advised that I would once it starts raining again.
            Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
            '08 Ridgeline RTL
            '02 Z06

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S View Post
              I have 2 sets of pretty bald tires on my Ridgeline. Discount Tires told me I need to replace one set, I advised that I would once it starts raining again.
              In that case, I hope you have 2 sets of spare tires

'65 Honda S600
              '02 Honda Mugen S2000
              '10 BMW E90 M3
              '15 Mini Cooper

Comment

This morning on the way to work I could smell the smoke for the first time -- around the Galleria area!

Surprised me quite a bit; I did not think it got that close, yet.
                "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
                Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Mugen View Post
                  In that case, I hope you have 2 sets of spare tires

No, I have the OEM wheels/tires sitting in my garage, and a set of MDX black chrome 19's on the truck w/ even balder tires. Both grip great in current weather conditions, and I have roadside assistance.
                  Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                  '08 Ridgeline RTL
                  '02 Z06

Comment

Working...
                  X