What's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it worth?

New guy here. West TX. Been a fan of the 2000 since it came out but never really had a chance to seriously play with one. Not a lot of 2k's out here.
    Found this 2000 in a local car dealership, tucked back in a corner, sadly neglected.
    Don't know mileage but the salesman claims that they had returned from a test drive and the engine "froze up."
    Don't know anything about the car other than it has a build date of 08/99.
    Assuming blown engine, what's the value of a "roller." I know that a used AP2 motor is about $2500 and would assume a rebuild, nothing fancy, would be about that.
    White exterior, red interior, top is cut, carpet is ragged, body straight, paint ok, driver seat needs repair and bolster rebuild, red aftermarket 5 spoke rims, decent Yokohamas. It would need, as a minimum, new top, carpet, seat rebuild and motor plus clutch, etc
    As a guest I'm not allowed to post pics but if the price is right it looks like a fun build.

thanks again

Without pics, about $5k depending on mileage. Sounds pretty ragged out. Do they have clear title?

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
    2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
    Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Little slow on reading how to post pics. But $5K was about what I was thinking. According to the dealer it had 111K on the odo. According to carfax it was a eastern car but no reports of damage but its pretty obvious that the PO was a smoker by the burn spots on the carpet. As far as I know it has a clear title, I don't think the dealer would have messed with it unless it did.
      Ridesafely.com has three 2K's up for auction, two in San Antonio and 1 in FL, all with salvage but range between $2-$5K.
      IF the motor is not totally destroyed what would be the range of a rebuild. I do most of my own work but have a friend who is a very good and patient mechanic.
      Pics are in gallery, under wsttxguy.
      Last edited by wsttxguy; 12-30-2012, 12:17 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

PM Stratocaster, He tends to deal in this market of S 2000s. So its an AP 1, and old car with high miles blown motor and ragged out interior and top. Hmmm, I am thingking you could find a better car to start with.
        2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
        Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
        Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

After looking at the pictures that thing is pretty much trashed. I wouldn't waste $5K on that, it has been rode hard as they say.

Gotta be a better car out there to start with.

Just my .0000000002

Comment

Just looked at the pics again, no telling how much water damage there is. It looks like it would need an entire interior.

Really sad to see an S like that, it deserved better then that.

Comment

For a couple grand it would make a nice start for a track car project.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
              2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
              Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                For a couple grand it would make a nice start for a track car project.

Comment

ahh yes restoration costs take what you think it will cost to restore, double that and add a few thousand more and you are in the ball park Then figure out how much time you think and triple that if after that you still want to proceed twice and call your bank manager for a line of credit.

Believe me I speak from experience ( two British cars and a Honda Motorcycle)
                  sigpic

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2013 Fiat Abarth, 2003 S2000, 2014 Honda CBR 500RA, 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite,2004 Lakeland Terrier (Sydney)

Comment

The top has been cut since about July. Here in West TX there has been very little moisture even if the pics show snow! We've had a lot of dirt! Having been a British and German sports car owner in the past I totally understand about cost! Also, just looking for a fun DD. I currently drive an '85 635 5 spd.
                    The biggest issue would be what the stealership think they have in the car. $2500 would be a reasonable number given what the car could be parted out for but I'll see next week what bit of hilarity they come up with.
                    I restore/build cars for a hobby so the cosmetic issues are not a biggie but I'm very limited on my knowledge of the F20C. I also don't know what I have locally for machine shops that know how to correctly work on this engine. Probably do but it will take a week or so to track down the intel.

Comment

Working...
                    X