Brake pads for DE events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pads for DE events?

What are you guys running for brake pads at the DE events?

I've done two events, along with numerous autocrosses, and I'm starting to notice a little more travel in the pedal. (and, yes, the brake fluid was flushed very recently)

I'd also like to upgrade a little from the stock pads, because I plan on doing more DE events (starting with the PCA event this weekend...).

Any suggestions? This is my daily driver, so I don't want something too extreme.

--michael

I run Cobalt GT Sports as daily driver and track. I have been very pleased with track performance and as a daily driver. They do make some noise when stopping, but you can't beat the stopping power.

My next set up will be Cobalt VR (fr) & VX (rr).

Comment

Cobalt GT's and Axxis pads. I'm going to switch soon. I have more than a handful of various pads that I switch back and forth between.

However, with "track pads", the opearting temperatures are shifted upwards as opposed to a generic organic street pad. This is important to remember since track pads need to be warmed up before they start making friction by adhesion. Prior to heating up, they are abrasive, which will cause more rotor wear than a handful of track events, if driven daily.

For the street, they might be a bit dirty, and you can eliminate the squeaks with Porterfield R4S's (S is for street!). They have a great bite to em. For the track, there's just that great initial bite feeling with Porterfield R4's. As for something with more linear feel to it, you can go with PFZ's (Performance Friction Z-compounds).

I've tried far too many pads on this car, but I'm also upgrading an old brake system in the next month from a billet four pot to a forged four pot and new rotors all around. With that order, I'm inquiring with locals in Austin to see if they need any other brake materials from Sherwin at BrakeZone. I'll need to know by the weekend if others want anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy W
        Cobalt GT's and Axxis pads. I'm going to switch soon. I have more than a handful of various pads that I switch back and forth between.

However, with "track pads", the opearting temperatures are shifted upwards as opposed to a generic organic street pad. This is important to remember since track pads need to be warmed up before they start making friction by adhesion. Prior to heating up, they are abrasive, which will cause more rotor wear than a handful of track events, if driven daily.

For the street, they might be a bit dirty, and you can eliminate the squeaks with Porterfield R4S's (S is for street!). They have a great bite to em. For the track, there's just that great initial bite feeling with Porterfield R4's. As for something with more linear feel to it, you can go with PFZ's (Performance Friction Z-compounds).

I've tried far too many pads on this car, but I'm also upgrading an old brake system in the next month from a billet four pot to a forged four pot and new rotors all around. With that order, I'm inquiring with locals in Austin to see if they need any other brake materials from Sherwin at BrakeZone. I'll need to know by the weekend if others want anything.
        Randy,
        Can Sherwin get Cobalt VR (fr) & VX (rr). If so, how much

Comment

If Sherwin cannot, Bill over at SoulSpeed can. Bill has an account setup with Cobalt. If you are an Austin local and want me to inquire, just let me know what you want pricing on.

Comment

Originally posted by spiderxvpbiking
            Randy,
            Can Sherwin get Cobalt VR (fr) & VX (rr). If so, how much
            Cobalt is also a Club sponsor so you might want to check out the discount that they offer S2KCA members since you are one now!
            Davo

The older I get, the faster I was

'02 Sebring Silver
            '07 VW Touareg V6
            '70 Volvo 1800E

Comment

Originally posted by photodavo
              Cobalt is also a Club sponsor so you might want to check out the discount that they offer S2KCA members since you are one now!

Thanks, I will be sure to do that and let every one know.

Comment

I just checked the sponsor page and it looks like they offer a 10% discount on brake pads and $100 off on a big brake kit.
                Davo

The older I get, the faster I was

'02 Sebring Silver
                '07 VW Touareg V6
                '70 Volvo 1800E

Comment

I had good luck with PFC 80 from Performance Friction, you would only need this on the front brakes.
                  This are race only pads so you need to swap pads before and after your track day.
                  For Autocross a less heat resistant performance pad like Hawk HPS should work well, this ones have more bite than OEM, dont require heat to bite well, last long, resist heat better than OEM but may need a bit more heat resistance for track use.

Comment

I just made the change to Cobalt GT and I put on steel brake lines. What a difference in feel and absolutely no fade.

GT's work good on the street with less heat, but they do make noise.

I am very happy with the difference.

I just can't sneak up on anyone.
                    S2KLA/Central Coast Cruisers

Comment

Working...
                    X