X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Autocross Season

Welcome to the 2010 Autocross Season!

This first post will be updated regularly now so you don't have to go to the last post.

Next SASCA Event : September 26, 2010 at Blossom Athletic Center [ Register Here ]

Next SPOKES Event : September 19, 2010 at San Antonio Raceway [ Register Here ]

=================================================

Hey all, I've been autocrossing since January 2009 and I've met a ton of new people and increased my awareness of driving in my S2000 and how it handles. If you've never autocrossed before or are looking for local clubs to participate in then keep reading.

If you're new to autocross you can read the description here. It's a lot of fun, it's inexpensive, and it isn't hard on the car. There are 2 local clubs in and near San Antonio. San Antonio Sports Car Association (SASCA) is our local one and Austin's club is Texas Spokes Sports Car Club (SPOKES). Both clubs have friendly people who are usually willing to lend a helping hand or ride along with you to help you out. The novice coordinators do an excellent job at helping the new drivers as well. Please don't be afraid to introduce yourself to new people or ask any questions as we've all been in the same spot you've been. A good article to read is here... http://www.sasca.org/upload/SASCAInf...ook.htm#whatis

Anatomy of an Autocross
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cDsmBexSd8

Events are typically most of the day on Sunday. First car is out on the track around 10am and we're usually packing everything in sometime between 4-5pm. Events are $25 for non-members and $20 for members (Sasca membership is $25 and Spokes is $40 for the year so they pay themselves off only after a handful of events). Walk-up registration is welcomed but the preferred method is registering for the event online (you pay when you get to the event) at https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/ . Sign up for a free account, add your car to your "garage" and then go register for an event.

Typical Schedule for the day...

Set-Up - 7:00am (help always needed and appreciated)
    Registration - 7:30am to 8:30am
    Late Registration - ($10 extra) 8:30am to 9:00am
    Tech Inspection - 7:30am to 9:15am
    Novice Walkthrough - 9:00am to 9:30am
    Driver's Meeting - 9:30am to 9:45am (mandatory!)
    First Car Out - 10:00am
    Cleanup - 4:00pm - 5:00pm

I just want to note to please try and have your car ready for tech inspection before registering. This way once you register you can just bring your car right to tech lane for tech inspection and be ready for the day instead of rushing. It helps make everything else run smooth as well. If your car is not in line for tech inspection by 9:15 then you don't get to run.

Above all else, I know competition can be tough but go out to have fun!

Next Spokes Event: April 18th, 2010 @ San Antonio Raceway
    Next Sasca Event: April 25th, 2010 @ Blossom Athletic Center

Come on out & introduce yourselves!
    Last edited by RavynX; 08-24-2010, 09:56 AM.

Depending on my sisters flight back I should be there...

Comment

We had a normal turnout at this most recent event. Here were my runs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhgVZaFHRs

Comment

I like the normal turnouts, morning and afternoon sessions FTW!

Comment

Here were my runs from last weekend... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZRHCOXdPG8

Comment

Originally posted by GateCrasher View Post
            I like the normal turnouts, morning and afternoon sessions FTW!
            I dunno, I kind of like how we do the Spokes events scheduling with 3 sessions. Run 1, Work 1, Off 1. Gives you plenty of time to chill for lunch if you off-session is 1 or 2... or lets you leave early if you're off during session 3. That and we can't do the morning/afternoon 1/2 session that Sasca normally does when there's a huge turnout of people.

The morning/afternoon session is great for learning autocross because it allows you to think about your runs during your lunch break and improve in the afternoon. The 3 heat setup that Spokes does simulates nationals competition because you only get 5-6 runs to make it count. At Nationals you get 3 runs each day; you have to nail it on those 3 or you're done for. Interesting mixes.

Comment

Good to see you again Chris!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy W View Post
                Good to see you again Chris!
                Good to see you too, Randy. I hope you two had fun.

Comment

SASCA's 7th Event of 2010 will be this Sunday on July 11th. Sign up @ https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/calendar_ma...&curyearindex=4

Comment

Here are my runs for the July 11th event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-dmGGJ2fAU

Comment

My runs for the Spokes July 25th event...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB9pEJKuQpA

Comment

The Sasca and Spokes events went very well for August. The next ones for both won't be until the end of September due to SCCA Solo Nationals Championships running Sept. 7-10. Good luck to all of those that are going. I'll see you up there.

Also, first post updated for September events.

Comment

I went to the SCCA Solo Nationals event up in Lincoln, Nebraska this past week. I wasn't anywhere near trophying but I had a ton of fun. Both courses were a blast to drive and figure out the proper line. Grats to Ricky from SASCA and Dan and others from SPOKES that trophied at the event!

Comment

My runs at Nationals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npJhFZd_-Wc

Comment

I had a question about the numbers at Sasca autocrosses. I want to use my own set of numbers, but this set is not the same as the ones i used to use that Sasca assigned to me a few years ago. I let my old membership with Sasca lapse. Will they let me use my current set of numbers? When I registered I used the new number, and it didn't get rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper123 View Post
                                I had a question about the numbers at Sasca autocrosses. I want to use my own set of numbers, but this set is not the same as the ones i used to use that Sasca assigned to me a few years ago. I let my old membership with Sasca lapse. Will they let me use my current set of numbers? When I registered I used the new number, and it didn't get rejected.
                                Numbers aren't not assigned or set for Sasca; at least for the 2 years that I have been participating in. As long as your number isn't the same as someone else's in your class then you can run it.

Comment

Thanks, that's great! Then, I should be able to order some new magnetic numbers. If I can finally get my alignment done, I am hoping to go to the Feb Sasca event.
                                  Thanks again!

Comment

Awesome, glad to hear it. The February event will be at Retama Park so you don't have to drive all the way to Blossom Stadium. Check out the 2011 AutoX season calendar in the main SouthCentral region board that I posted this morning. I hope to see you out there!

Comment

I will be attending the Oct 16 event, albeit in a different car, a Miata. My S2K still has no tires, no alignment. A question from a novice Miata driver who would like to know if he can attend SASCA events if his Miata has no rollbar. He said he would go to SASCA if he could find out the answer to this question. He plans to get a rollbar next year. I said he should try to get started now so that he can get used to learning a course, and the whole routine. This would be his first event. And/or do you know who I should ask this question over at SASCA?
                                      Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper123 View Post
                                        I will be attending the Oct 16 event, albeit in a different car, a Miata. My S2K still has no tires, no alignment. A question from a novice Miata driver who would like to know if he can attend SASCA events if his Miata has no rollbar. He said he would go to SASCA if he could find out the answer to this question. He plans to get a rollbar next year. I said he should try to get started now so that he can get used to learning a course, and the whole routine. This would be his first event. And/or do you know who I should ask this question over at SASCA?
                                        Alex
                                        You can attend autox (SCCA or not) without a rollbar. It's only when you go to HPDE/Track events where you need a rollbar. See you and your friend on the 16th!

Comment

Working...
                                        X