Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I will pass on the message to my freind.
    I will be in a dark blue Miata with tan interior, and a sleepy look on my face!
    Alex

Comment

The NC's rollbar is even sufficient to pass tech for many track events, incl. running @ H2R. It's just a personal judgment call as to whether that's sufficient protection.
      Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
      '08 Ridgeline RTL
      '02 Z06

Comment

Yesterday's event was a total success for my novice freind. He is already signed up for the next event at Retama. I'm signed up for the next too, but not sure if I want to go again. Only having two run groups for 88 people was not a good idea. The morning session ended up being 3 hours long, exactly. There were many problems with the timing, and we were not given any break or relief. The worker chief just did the minimum when he should have been giving us some consideration.

So, I would say if there were 3 or 4 run groups like it used to be, I would go. That way, it would be quite a bit more relaxing and enjoyable. Otherwise, I don't think it will be much better except for the venue would be better. Also, a lot of the veterans are gone along with the experience.

And, I saw a big change in how the cones are used to mark the course. There was a lot of confusion.
        For example, a lot of pointer cones were used in place of gates.So, I would like to go, but I will wait and see if there are any changes mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper123 View Post
          Yesterday's event was a total success for my novice freind. He is already signed up for the next event at Retama. I'm signed up for the next too, but not sure if I want to go again. Only having two run groups for 88 people was not a good idea. The morning session ended up being 3 hours long, exactly. There were many problems with the timing, and we were not given any break or relief. The worker chief just did the minimum when he should have been giving us some consideration.
          Lee (worker chief) recognized this issue. The timing issues just happened to be bad luck that round; they're not always that bad. We were border line on having enough people between 2 and 3 run groups and he just happened to have chosen the 2 option. Usually if we do not have enough people and a 3 heat group is ran we usually don't have enough workers to do cone stations and gate duty so it usually ends up being 1 or 2 people chasing cones per corner. Please don't let this decision affect your attendance at the following events as it was definitely an outlier to the norm. It would have been another hour out there if everyone was allowed to come in for a break so they just kept pushing to finish.

So, I would say if there were 3 or 4 run groups like it used to be, I would go. That way, it would be quite a bit more relaxing and enjoyable. Otherwise, I don't think it will be much better except for the venue would be better. Also, a lot of the veterans are gone along with the experience.
          I do agree that 3 run groups are more casual but we usually run very successful 2-heat events over the past 2.5 years that I have been going. Again this was just an exception to the norm. The line between 2 and 3 run heats is usually right at 90 people. Lots of the veterans are gone b/c Nationals are over and they are taking a break. They will return soon but feel free to ask any of us to ride along with you or to catch a ride with us. We'll be more than happy to help you guys out. We're usually chatting with friends but feel free to come and grab us. I need to update my signature; I have green numbers now. ^_^

And, I saw a big change in how the cones are used to mark the course. There was a lot of confusion.
          For example, a lot of pointer cones were used in place of gates.So, I would like to go, but I will wait and see if there are any changes mentioned.
          The course design was definitely different from the usual that Vivek does and I noticed a lot of confused drivers (novice or not) so I wouldn't base my attendance off of that.

Thank you very much for voicing your opinion. We really need this in the club to make sure events stay running as smoothly as possible. I would say come join us at the SASCA meeting tomorrow but you're from Austin. I will make sure these points are mentioned at the meeting.

Comment

The issue with the timing was that we had an individual on the computer in that run group that had not used the computer in 3+ years and was not as familiar with it any more. With that said, we also did not have anybody else in that particular heat that was qualified to use it at all, since, as you noted, most of our 'regulars' were not attending. After nationals, most folks are burned out (I know I certainly am), and there was a Bastrop Fire recovery fundraiser party up in Austin the night before that most of the Austin regulars were attending, so they didn't want to get up early and make the drive all the way down to San Antonio.

The judgement call to have only two runs groups was made based on several things. As Chris noted above, if we have less than 90 drivers in attendance, it is difficult to fulfill all of the worker positions. There are a lot of folks that are taken out of the worker mix due to working morning setup positions... If you have 88 drivers, and 6-10 of them are doing morning jobs, that leaves you with ~70 people... You also have BoD folks that put in PLENTY of hours outside of event day getting things ready to go behind the scenes, so that takes out another 3-5 people... Now you've got ~65 workers left that you can pick from. We also had several double-entered individuals on Sunday that were running the entire day, but they were required to help with setup and teardown at the end of the day as well.

Now you're in the low 60s for people to pick from. If we break the day into three run groups, you have ~20 available workers for each heat. You need three in the trailer, 3-4 at each of the four corners, a starter, a grid person, a gate person, etc, etc... You just don't have enough people. Not to mention, you need yet another qualified timing person to run the computer. It just doesn't work.

I made the judgement call, and I will stand behind the decision I made on Sunday to leave it with only two heats. Yes, the first heat should not have taken as long as it should have due to the lack of proficiency of the computer operator, but that couldn't be helped either, given the circumstances. This was probably one of the 'worst run' events we've had in the last three years based on the time it took to get through the day.

As for the cone layout and pointers, etc... I saw nothing 'out of the ordinary' from many other events I have been to at other SCCA regions and SCCA events, including many ProSolo events, National Tours, Divisionals, and even the SCCA Nationals. There's no one single way to delineate a course design, and it is up to the course designer to do it as he/she sees fit. All of the pointers/gates/etc were compliant with the Roger Johnson course design handbook this weekend, and the course flowed *extremely* well.

I highly encourage you to become active in the club to contribute your ideas and provide us with additional help to make the events better. We are always short-staffed and need additional help... We simply try to do the best with what we have to work with, but it won't get better unless additional people step up.

I take constructive criticism very well, and *always* welcome feedback on how we are doing with events, but when it is provided from the sidelines, without sufficient background knowledge about why things happen the way they do, and with no willingness to help solve the problem, it doesn't come across nearly as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RavynX View Post

Thank you very much for voicing your opinion. We really need this in the club to make sure events stay running as smoothly as possible. I would say come join us at the SASCA meeting tomorrow but you're from Austin. I will make sure these points are mentioned at the meeting.
              Chris, thanks for your comments and words of encouragement. It helps a lot to know some of these important details. I would be coming from NW of Austin, plus I have been visitng a client in SA recently, otherwise it would be nice to go to a meeting. And, I would like to go to Retama, I will check it out. Thanks again.
              Alex

Comment

I'm going to close out this thread since we have a 2011 Season thread in the main Texas section.

Please visit: https://www.s2kca.com/S2000/showthread.php?t=38308 for the 2011 Season.

Comment

Working...
                X