Night shift is on...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by speedracer View Post

It is a red car so you need to prepare for some potential issues that you may not recognize as a silver car driver.
    Let alone I have no knowledge of its history or when it was driven last. Quite the adventure. Speaking of adventure, we haven't seen an S600 update in a while.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
    2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
    Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocketman View Post

Let alone I have no knowledge of its history or when it was driven last. Quite the adventure. Speaking of adventure, we haven't seen an S600 update in a while.
      The S600 project is behind the Porsche project. So I am working on the Porsche.
      2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
      Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
      Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

No progress on the s600.
        2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,

Comment

• Looking forward to a ride in May
          Coop
          Life Member 57
          KE0BND
          What other people think of me, is none of my business
          It's Five O' Clock Somewhere

Become an S2KCA member, tell them Coop sent you

Comment

• Hurry Coop. You will miss the peak of Allergy season!

Comment

• Rocketman, What is the update on the engine installation project.

Comment

Rocketman, What is the update on the engine installation project.
                Funny story as only a red car can give you. I have a 1973 Mustang that I am putting a 1970 351C engine in. This car originally came with a 351C engine, but didn't have one when I bought it. The blocks are the same, the driveline is the same, the engine position under the hood is the same, so when I bought motor mounts for a 351C to a 1971-1973 Mustang application, I figured I didn't have much to worry about. My son John came over from Morgan City to help me with the install. My neighbor was there supervising and trying his best to run out of beer, and my buddy Brian was there as safety observer.

I had prepped the engine first, got it up on the hoist, and all we had to do was lower it into position and install two bolts - one for each mount. We got it lowered into the engine bay and started making the proper adjustments to get one of the bolts in first, then lower the other side down. After some jostling, I finally got the holes lined up and the first bolt and nut installed successfully. Then we moved to the other side and figured it would just drop down in place and the other bolt would slide neatly through the appropriate holes.

"NOT SO FAST!!!", says the red car. The holes in the engine mount and the matching holes in the frame mount were at least an inch apart. "How can this be?", I wondered. After some head-scratching, my son asked, "Is this car wider than a 1970?" It is, but I bought mounts for the later model. That got him to do some quick research on his phone - gotta love kids and their goddamn phones. He found out that the 1973 model had different 351C mounts from ALL OTHER MUSTANGS.

It seems that the new safety requirements imposed on manufacturers beginning in the 1973 model year required a feature that would prevent the motor mounts from failing in a collision. Pre-1973 Mustangs had a rubber block fused to a steel mount, as had most other cars back then. The new design had three components rather than two. The rubber isolator was installed between two steel pieces which were then riveted together, thus preventing the rubber from separating under extreme g forces. This more complex design made the motor mount slightly longer/higher than the previous version. To compensate for the higher motor mount, Ford had a better idea (their slogan back in the day) to shorten the frame mount or perch so the engine location/driveline angle and center of gravity would remain the same as the older models.

This is where it gets good. Apparently due to the lower production and sales volume of the 1973 Mustang combined with the higher reliability of the new design mount and the industry shift to smaller, fuel efficient cars, Ford stopped manufacturing the 1973 engine mount in 1979, thus removing them from the auto parts stores sometime in the mid-80's after the supply ran out. They are now considered "unobtainium", as we say in the engineering world, and you have to be pretty lucky to find a decent set. Lucky I was, as I found some on Ebay for $150. They will be here tomorrow and part 2 of the install will be done this weekend.

sigpic
                2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
                Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

• Excellent red car story.
                  S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

• Ok, great story! Especially the part about them kids and their goddamn phones. Several points awarded to the kid with the microcomputer that we all call a phone these days who did yeoman's duty finding the answer to the problem.

-Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
                    California Dreamin'

​Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
                    --​​​​​​ Golda Meir

Comment

• Those darn red cars! They never stop surprising you in the most unpleasant, unexpected ways.

02 Sebring Silver: Fujita F5 CAI, S2KCA Windshield Decal,
                      Modifry Dash Mounting Plate, XM Radio, Modifry Camera Mount, Keyhole Covers

Comment

• Anxiously awaiting updates on the “NOT SO FAST” red car.
                        S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

• I got my mounts but still have to paint them before attempting to install. Was busy all weekend with the NASA Chili Cookoff. We took 1st place in Showmanship!

sigpic

Comment

• So I have a question. Does the "red cars drive slower" idea - does that extend to cars that have a red, or partially red interior?

I would like to see pictures of this showmanship. I once took first place in a tater tot hotdish contest because of my high scores both in flavor, and presentation. Let's just say that you don't go to a cook-off with plastic or paper plates, paper napkins and plastic cutlery. No no no. Good china, silver plate flatware, linen napkins.
                            This Too Shall Pass

If it has tires or testicles, it is going to give you trouble.

Comment

Was busy all weekend with the NASA Chili Cookoff.
                              Well, I suppose that's one method of propulsion. I knew they were cutting budgets there, but I didn't realize it had gotten that bad you were needing to go home grown on your rocket fuel.
                              -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

--​​​​​​ Golda Meir

Comment

• Rocketman. Thanks for the update. I am concerned that you approaching the red car project with a silver car attitude. Red cars are more exotic than other cars and frequently require “special” parts that are not sold in regular stores. We developed a special red car parts store called eBay and then added a bunch of other stuff on the same site to confuse the silver car drivers. Soon your red car will be running smoothly with the special eBay red car parts that make it go faster. I realize that the parts diversion slowed down your project but we had to make sure you were worthy of driving a red car.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo02s2k View Post
                                  Those darn red cars! They never stop surprising you in the most unpleasant, unexpected ways.
                                  Like when the red cars pass you.......

Comment

Like when the red cars pass you.......
                                    ...on the back of a flatbed?
                                    -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

--​​​​​​ Golda Meir

Comment

• We put the red cars on flatbeds as a high alter so the silver cars continue to pay them proper respect.

Comment

• Happy Friday.

Comment

• Happy Friday, indeed!

02 Sebring Silver: Fujita F5 CAI, S2KCA Windshield Decal,
                                          Modifry Dash Mounting Plate, XM Radio, Modifry Camera Mount, Keyhole Covers

Comment

Working...
                                          X