Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What, exactly, does a break-in period for a clutch entail?

02 Sebring Silver: Fujita F5 CAI, S2KCA Windshield Decal,
    Modifry Dash Mounting Plate, XM Radio, Modifry Camera Mount, Keyhole Covers

Comment

It was a 10 minute explanation from Curt.

I can't say I remember the whole thing but these are the parts I remember a little.

1) No trips to the drag stip.
      2) No dropping the clutch at 9000 RPM.
      3) No burn outs.
      4) No hard launches.

Many other things that are normally conducted by red car drivers that apparently increase clutch temp.

Soooooo

I am pretending that I have a silver car. I am granny shifting at 2000 RPM.

2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
      Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
      Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Originally posted by speedracer View Post
        I am pretending that I have a silver car. I am granny shifting at 2000 RPM.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
        2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
        Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Rocketman and granny shafting... sounds about right.
          -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
          California Dreamin'

FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
          https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

"It's one thing to be a garden variety asshole. It's another thing entirely to be an asshole with malice and intent." -Nalé

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
            Rocketman and granny shafting... sounds about right.
            Granny shafting???

Comment

I'm a single dude in my 50s, so yeah what's wrong with a little granny shafting after bingo?

sigpic
              2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
              Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

^^ It's the bingo part that is wrong, man. It's gambling. Gambling is terribly sinful.
                -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
                California Dreamin'

FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
                https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

"It's one thing to be a garden variety asshole. It's another thing entirely to be an asshole with malice and intent." -Nalé

Comment

Granny shifting definition

Granny shifting is also called short shifting. It's when you shift at low RPM's. Double clutching is completely different. It's a method used on transmissions without synchronizers. You have to step on the clutch , shift out of gear, release the clutch, then step on the clutch again, blip the throttle and shift into gear at the same time.

2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,

Comment

What is granny shifting - Answers.com

www.answers.com › WikiAnswers ®CategoriesUncategorized
                    Apr 15, 2018 · Granny shifting is changing up gears before (roughly) 6000rpm. Its how most people would drive on a daily basis, but in street racing the rpm is pushed as high as possible to get the extra power output on the upchange of the gears. another definition is changing gears before hitting the red zone on the tachometer.

Comment

Granny shifting is changing up gears before (roughly) 6000rpm.

Isn't that pretty much redline in many cars?

02 Sebring Silver: Fujita F5 CAI, S2KCA Windshield Decal,
                      Modifry Dash Mounting Plate, XM Radio, Modifry Camera Mount, Keyhole Covers

Comment

Yes. Shifting before redline = granny shifting.

I am am still in the break in period. From there I will move toward the break it period and then move back into the fix it period .

Comment

How do you manage to go through both tires and clutches like there's no tomorrow? I've never seen you burn out or even chirp in second, never seen you go sideways on a turn, and never seen you go over 100! What gives, man? Do you rev match on downshift?

sigpic

Comment

I am not sure about all the reasons I tend to go though tires and clutches. I think one of the reasons is that I have more power and torque than most NA S2000's. Even without a turbo I have some special mods that increase torque on the drive train.

I like sticky tires because they cover my driving mistakes and keep me out of trouble. That means that my RE 71Rs don't last long.

My driving style is hard on the drive train.

Its a red car.

407 miles, Just a little longer.......

Comment

sigpic

Comment

The clutch has passed its 500 mile break in period and everything is going smoothly. I am going to transition back to my normal driving habits . Mods please close the thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X