Red Car Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Rocketman Andy?

Nevermind, it's not important. I took the old girl out for another short romp this evening to my local purveyor of adult beverages. Had a chance to test the acceleration a couple of times, and oh my! 2nd gear @ around 30mph in moderate acceleration I poured on the coal and broke the tires loose. Not a scratch, mind you, but no sh!t spinning and squawking. I doubt I'll get 2000 miles out of this first set of 285/60R15s.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
    2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
    Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

• Originally posted by s2kbobby View Post
      Why don't you go the geezer route and hot wire the left turn signal to leave it run all the time. You're getting to about the right age too!

OK OK that comment about the age is unfair.
      HA! Now I know why all the Canucks leave their blinkers on! I thought it was to tell the moose to go back into the woods, eh.

sigpic
      2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
      Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

• Originally posted by speedracer View Post
        On a more serious note, the dealership mechanic that did the brake job on the Prius apparently did not torque down the bolts to the rear calipers resulting in the destruction of two calipers and damage to one of the wheels. I am upset.
        Understandably so. Yikes!
        -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
        California Dreamin'

​"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy." ~Abraham Lincoln, 1864
        ​​​​​​
        Quote of the Month:

In response to What time is... Will there be... Are we... How do we...

"RTFP!"
        -Gene Strupe

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
          Who's Rocketman Andy?

Nevermind, it's not important. I took the old girl out for another short romp this evening to my local purveyor of adult beverages. Had a chance to test the acceleration a couple of times, and oh my! 2nd gear @ around 30mph in moderate acceleration I poured on the coal and broke the tires loose. Not a scratch, mind you, but no sh!t spinning and squawking. I doubt I'll get 2000 miles out of this first set of 285/60R15s.
          Simmer down Andy. simmer down.
          2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
          Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
          Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

• Happy Wednesday.
            2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,

Comment

• Here is my question for the day. When using an air powered impact wrench. Do you have to hand torque the bolts also.

Comment

• Please tell me this isn't a serious question.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by speedracer View Post
                  Here is my question for the day. When using an air powered impact wrench. Do you have to hand torque the bolts also.
                  Is there a torque limiter on the air powered impact wrench?

Let's just say that there isn't a very good apprenticeship program in this country to train competent auto mechanics who do the job correctly.

02 Sebring Silver: Fujita F5 CAI, S2KCA Windshield Decal,
                  Modifry Dash Mounting Plate, XM Radio, Modifry Camera Mount, Keyhole Covers

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                    Please tell me this isn't a serious question.
                    this is a serious question. It has to do with a dealer repair and associated failure

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo02s2k View Post

Is there a torque limiter on the air powered impact wrench?

Let's just say that there isn't a very good apprenticeship program in this country to train competent auto mechanics who do the job correctly.
                      Impact wrench probably does not have a torque limit . The longer you leave it on the more torque is applied. That is my understanding. I have never been trained to us an impact wrench.

Comment

• Pneumatic impact tools should NOT be used to install torque-sensitive fasteners unless they have a calibrated torque-limiting device installed. Torque specs are there for a couple of reasons;

1) to load the threads and make them more difficult to back out on their own due to vibration, heat cycles, corrosion, etc. Over-toque, such as what can be applied by an uncontrolled impact tool may cause bolts to crack or completely shear, which leads to failure. It may also strip the threads, gall contact surfaces (cracks), or otherwise damage the fastener and reduce its effectiveness. Under-torque, obviously, may allow a bolt to back out on its own due to the aforementioned factors. Examples include lug nuts, manifold and head bolts, or caliper bolts.

2) to ensure proper force is applied to two components or surfaces that will keep them from separating under load. Example is wheel bearings. They're not torqued down to super tight, just enough to keep the bearings working properly.

ANY good mechanic or engineer will tell you that when torque specifications are given, you'd best abide by them and use a calibrated torque wrench. A seasoned mechanic can get pretty close by feel (+/- 10% of the correct torque spec), and that is generally ok for cars, trucks, and tractors - airplanes and spacecraft, not so much. A pneumatic impact tool has no such expert touch.
                        Last edited by Rocketman; 07-17-2019, 08:17 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• What was the actual failure? Broken bolts or did they just come out? Either condition could have been prevented by use of a torque wrench, IMO. There are outliers, like material failure or poor machining, but that would cost lots to prove. Assuming that you're gathering information to have the dealership pay for their mistake, have your lawyer ask them for the calibration records for their torque wrenches and access records for the online manuals they probably use.
                          Last edited by Rocketman; 07-17-2019, 08:21 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• Rocketman thank you for the information. The issue I had occurred on a road trip . The car had a complete brake job in February including turning the rotors. It’s now July and I was driving the car for about 300 miles when I heard a rattling sound like I ran Over some gravel. When I slowed down in the next town I heard and felt strange sounds and vibrations. IL limped the car into the nearest dealership. They pulled the rear wheels and confirmed that on one side the caliper bolt was gone and the other side the caliper bolt had backed out and was flopping around in the caliper. They recommended replacing both calipers. I am replacing both calipers and the dealership making the original repair is paying for it.

Comment

• Happy Thursday. Today is the day the last part needed to make the Rocketman mustang street legal is supposed to arrive.

Comment

• Speaking of torque and applying the proper amount, I may have exceeded the 9 ft-lbs when I reinstalled my vtec actuator.

02 Sebring Silver: Fujita F5 CAI, S2KCA Windshield Decal,
                                Modifry Dash Mounting Plate, XM Radio, Modifry Camera Mount, Keyhole Covers

Comment

• Well. I have never considered you to be the over torque type. Perhaps you were thinking about something else and got over excited with a wrench in your hand. Hopefully you were not using an impact wrench on a delicate part.

Comment

• Did the part show up?

Comment

• Went for another ride this evening.

Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

• Looks good.

Comment

• I have been instructed to buy Porsche parts to get the project moving .

Comment

Working...
                                          X