Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6/11: The Formula 1 event of the year for Texas (and drive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/11: The Formula 1 event of the year for Texas (and drive!)

Hopefully you've seen the announcement this past week of the June 17 2012 date for the 1st United States Grand Prix at the new Circuit of the Americas track outside Austin. $450 million US Dollars have been committed to build and finish out the facility. Construction is proceeding at maximum speed. More personnel have been hired. Other events such as MotoGP have been added to the calendar and many more are in early planning stages. Formula 1 fans across the Americas and indeed the world are making hotel reservations and putting travel plans in place to be here in person for the first race.

We're unbelievably lucky to have this facility here in Texas. F1 enthusiasts are building their appreciation for F1 and get together in groups across the state to watch every race. The first tour of the track is being offered to fans this week. Wild Bubbas Wild Game Grill in Speed City Texas (administratively known as Elroy Texas, it is the actual home of the new track) is the defacto hangout for fans and includes a growing shrine of images, videos and memorabilia. Located in Elroy next to the track, you never know who you will sit down next to for lunch or dinner (for our most recent visit there, it was a table of Tilke engineers!!). It's also the official BBP (Best Burger Place) for Austin area S2Kers.

To help build the F1 enthusiast community, leading up to the first race next year, Wild Bubba’s has put together a free event with complementary German food and BYOB beer. This will be an absolutely unique experience, your chance to socialize with F1 enthusiasts from all around. RSVP by email as shown in the invitation below.

Our S2K group is looking to put together an S2K drive to exercise the cars a bit and get there together. Short afternoon drive, maybe ~100 miles. Post here if interested and we'll see what we can do in the time remaining. There will also be some separate time to drive past the outside of the track to see how construction is progressing - if you haven't seen it you are really missing something. The 133 foot hill culminating in the left-hand turn 1 is very clear from nearby!

I'll be here for this event too. It's going to be FUN!!!
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
    '02 S2000 NFR S/C
    '79 Vespa Primavera ET3 with cylinder kit to a whopping 135 ccs!
    Interviewing candidates for vehicle #4...

Comment

Can't wait for the race next year!!!! You all are so lucky living that close.

Comment

Alice, Tyler, and I are in for the event, but prob. won't be able to make the drive.
        Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
        '08 Ridgeline RTL
        '02 Z06

Comment

Sounds fun, but I'm headed to Montreal in the morning.

Comment

We will try to make this...!

Comment

Hi Jimmy,
              Were you guys wanting to do the drive part too, beforehand?
              Alex

Comment

Yep - that is the main thing we are interested in. Let me know when and where and we'll meet up.

Comment

May a newbie tag along? I recently bought an 08 Laguna Blue S2K and am loving it.

Comment

We are not only attending but we pitched in and created some fun stuff for Bubba. There should also be an F1 racing simulator set up at this event along with some scale models and F1 memorabilia. Wear your team wear if you have any and books, photos, programs, tickets etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter13 View Post
                      May a newbie tag along? I recently bought an 08 Laguna Blue S2K and am loving it.
                      Where are you leaving from...maybe we can head that way together...?

Comment

Originally posted by Atoku View Post
                        We are not only attending but we pitched in and created some fun stuff for Bubba. There should also be an F1 racing simulator set up at this event along with some scale models and F1 memorabilia. Wear your team wear if you have any and books, photos, programs, tickets etc.
                        That is *really* great of you!!!

Comment

While we're on the F1 topic, and since naturally any S2K fan is an F1 fan, some help is needed!

As you know, construction on the Circuit of the Americas facility is progressing as planned. The facility is a several hundred million dollar project that is 100 percent privately financed.
                          Now, we need your help to get it over the finish line:
                          1) This week, the Austin City Council will begin the process of deciding if Austin will be the host community for the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix race. The Council had a staff briefing at their Tuesday morning work session followed by a Thursday morning discussion and public comment period about the project.
                          The race will generate an estimated $300 million per-year economic impact on the local economy for 10 years. It is creating more than 1,000 construction-related jobs right now. In addition to the jobs already created, this project is attracting businesses to the area in a variety of sectors. It is also creating substantial job-training opportunities for several area schools and universities.
                          Opponents to Formula 1 in Austin will certainly voice their opinions against the project. That’s why we need you to voice your support for the project to the Austin City Council immediately. Please write favorable emails to the following addresses:
                          • the following email addresses at this domain: ci.austin.tx.us
                          • Lee.Leffingwell
                          • Chris Riley
                          • Mike Martinez
                          • Randi.Shade
                          • Laura.Morrison
                          • Bill Spelman
                          • Sheryl.Cole

2) Please consider signing the petition “Tell the Austin City Council to Vote YES on Formula 1“. Our goal is to reach 2,000 signatures and we need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here: http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-the-austin-city-council-to-vote-yes-on-formula-1

Please, take the time to show your support for the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix project. Everyone around the world should participate - this is certainly not Austin only.

Comment

How is this privately financed ?? The taxpayers of Texas and the city of Austin via the state enterprise fund, and economic incentives are funding it lock, stock and car ! The State of Texas and local school districts are firing teachers, have massively underfunded public pension obligations and there are no funds to repair roads, or build new ones unless they build toll roads, so how is this a good thing ? I like auto racing, but why shouldn't the promoters have to pony up the money to build this thing ?? As it stands the taxpayers assume all risks. As a Texas and Austin taxpayer, I feel violated. This is NOT how public tax dollars should be spent. ! PLease don't cite one of those hideous economic studies that cites diarrhea like numbers in support of the aforementioned corporate welfare project. Liers figure and figures lie. TX and Austin taxpayers got screwed any angle you look at it - period. To repeat,, I have no problem with it except using public tax dollars to pay for it.
                            Last edited by Peter; 07-03-2011, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              How is this privately financed ?? The taxpayers of Texas and the city of Austin via the state enterprise fund, and economic incentives are funding it lock, stock and car ! The State of Texas and local school districts are firing teachers, have massively underfunded public pension obligations and there are no funds to repair roads, or build new ones unless they build toll roads, so how is this a good thing ? I like auto racing, but why shouldn't the promoters have to pony up the money to build this thing ?? As it stands the taxpayers assume all risks. As a Texas and Austin taxpayer, I feel violated. This is NOT how public tax dollars should be spent. ! PLease don't cite one of those hideous economic studies that cites diarrhea like numbers in support of the aforementioned corporate welfare project. Liers figure and figures lie. TX and Austin taxpayers got screwed any angle you look at it - period. To repeat,, I have no problem with it except using public tax dollars to pay for it.
                              Have you been reading the same things that I have? Attending the same council, county commission, and zoning meetings I have? Because your "facts" don't exactly stack up. This is a $400 million facility being built and paid for by Red McCombs and a very few other investors. The $25M/year that they're getting is NOT going to the facility; it's paying the sanctioning fee for the F1 race to come to this facility. CotA will never TOUCH the money.

I've said this ad nauseum and I'll say it again, Peter: the money going to the sanctioning fee came from the METF (Major Events Trust Fund), which was a fund set up specifically to lure large sporting events to Texas. THAT MONEY WAS NEVER AVAILABLE TO SCHOOLS, but the increased money going into the state's coffers as a result WILL be. It was meant to, and is achieving the goal of, drawing major events to Texas that will pour money into our economy and State tax coffers. With every major event of this magnitude, our state gains a large amount tax revenue equal to or greater than the $25M that they offered as the bait to get the event here. It also garners other business development, and in the case of the CotA facility, it will draw in other races and related businesses who have ALREADY committed to purchasing land around the track and constructing buildings that will house businesses necessary to support the track.

In addition to sales tax income, this is generating additional property tax as well. The track land itself, previously valued and taxed at $4million, will be assessed at $600 million when construction is finished, which will flood the Del Valle school district with long needed money for teachers, facilities, and programs. That's to say nothing of the increased value of the land around the track being snapped up for those supporting businesses.

Elroy residents are EXCITED about this facility and what it means to their community. In addition to increased funding for their schools, this will also garner them access to public wastewater systems. While that doesn't sound like much to you, that is the SOLE reason why there hasn't been EVEN ONE grocery store, WalMart, etc, built in that area, and that's why residents have to drive 15 miles at a minimum to get groceries. This will also lead to their roads, washboarded and ignored for YEARS, being addressed and improved. Those out that way who are against this facility are in the very small minority.

And last but not least, let's look at how much $25M really is in the scheme of things. $25M represents .03% , yes less than one half of one tenth percent, of our entire State budget. If you made $50k a year, that's equivalent to $16.23 of your annual earnings, or $1.35 per month. Furthermore, if that $25M was diverted to education, it would hire 763 teachers statewide, which means that Austin might see one, maybe 2 more teachers, whereas the surplus in tax revenues brought in by the THREE races already committed for 2013, as well as others yet to be scheduled, WILL pay for many more.

Of course, the theory of economic development must just be for us bamboozled race fans. It's a lot easier to jump on the bandwagon and scream at everyone else to "think of the children." Well, some of us ARE thinking of the children: some of us can do the basic math to figure out that more money spent locally by tourists, businesses, and additional residents equals more money in the tax coffers by way of sales tax, increased property value = increased property tax, and a host of other taxes that increase when more money is spent here, which in turn leads to more money for schools and better educated people to wipe my butt when I'm 95. I'm the kid of a school teacher and as horrified by the state of schools and school budgets as everyone else, but I'm educated enough to understand the math that goes behind tax revenue.

/rant!
                              -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
                              '02 S2000 NFR S/C

Comment

Sondra I don't buy the economic study. Call it what you wish, a sanctioning fee whatever. The state should not spend one tax dollar to fund these events. We are not going to agree, so I'll shutup. I'm also educated enought to understand the math behind it. Anyway, it's over and done - I did not come here to alienate myself, so I'll never bring it up again. I apologize to Sondra and everyone else.
                                Last edited by Peter; 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                  Sondra I don't buy the economic study. Call it what you wish, a sanctioning fee whatever. The state should not spend one tax dollar to fund these events. We are not going to agree, so I'll shutup. I'm also educated enought to understand the math behind it. Anyway, it's over and done - I did not come here to alienate myself, so I'll never bring it up again. I apologize to Sondra and everyone else.
                                  Peter, I didn't mean to make you feel alienated, and I'm sorry if my choice of words did. I'm glad you're here and hope you'll enjoy spending time with us!

We'll plan something soon, though I doubt it will be a drive, given how blasted hot it is. My next planned excursion is one you might not want to do, but I'm trying to put together a tour of the F1 construction site. Many of the Austin S2k people are F1 fans and have gotten together over the years to watch the races or attend them, so I think it will be an outing that will be of some interest to those folks. Stay tuned for other GTGs!
                                  -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
                                  '02 S2000 NFR S/C

Comment

Working...
                                  X