Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon/Skyway run March 21st, anyone interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon/Skyway run March 21st, anyone interested?

Sitting here bored at work and got to thinking about making a trip somewhat soon, and since the weather usually isnt to bad in March and also that'd give anyone if remotely interested enough time to get things squared away.

Sooooo, anyone possibly interested? If so, post up...

Time - 9:30am so we can hopefully have everyone ready to leave around 10am
    Meeting Place - Steak-n-Shake on Shallowford Rd exit off of I-75 and corner of Gunbarrel Rd (I'll get the exit # in a few I forgot it). If you need any help finding it and the map doesnt help, just let me know.

http://www.mapquest.com/listings/Steak_...results_org_map

Also got a couple threads up on s2ki with quite a few saying they are up for it so should be a good turnout hopefully.

I know WTD is at the end of April, but that seems soooooo far away and plus this will give ya a chance to refresh your memory a few weeks before WTD haha.

The threads on s2ki so you can see a few are planning on making the trip...

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=758647

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=758649

UPDATE 3/17/2010
    From what i've gathered, the Dragon is still open just one side of it is blocked to get to it so we would have to make it a point to come in from the other side.
    I believe this might be the best link with an update on the situation up there in the middle of the website.
    http://www.dealsgap.com/
    http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?...&provider=gnews

If we didnt have enough luck with this situation, the weather has turned for the worst its looking like but of course you never know it could change tomorrow. It started out supposed to be in the 60's and sunny, now 50% chance of rain in the high 50's.
    Soooo, what would the majority of people that were planning on the trip like to do? Postpone it until next Sunday and hope for the best with the weather? Or just hold out and see what the weather is going to do this Sunday? Because we very well could get lucky...
    I know I gave up on listening to the weather when I started riding years ago because i'd cancel a trip because they claim its going to rain and sure enough it'd be a beautiful day and kicking myself in the butt for cancelling a ride.

UPDATE - 3/19/2010

Well trip has been cancelled, looks like were going to have to ride it out and see what happens before anything is rescheduled sadly

Thanks to all those that were planning on making the trip...
    Last edited by froggie3kb; 03-19-2010, 11:34 AM. Reason: Trip Cancelled

I would be interested. I have never run the dragon and would very much like to

Comment

Count me in as well.

Comment

Count me in as well. I still have 7 leftover vacation days I need to burn sometime - Right now looking at the Dragon Calender, it won't be crowded that date either !

http://tailofthedragon.com/calendar.html

~Scott

Comment

OK - I'm all set- I just verified I'm free on the 21st !

Comment

BUMP

Comment

I'm still coming ! In Fla right now on business, but the S2000 is under her cover in South Carolina. All I can do is look out the window at all the sunshine and sigh. 8~)

Still want to meet in Spartanburg and head to the mountains in a 2 car caravan ?

~Scott

Comment

Originally posted by IFLY1956 View Post
                I'm still coming ! In Fla right now on business, but the S2000 is under her cover in South Carolina. All I can do is look out the window at all the sunshine and sigh. 8~)

Still want to meet in Spartanburg and head to the mountains in a 2 car caravan ?

~Scott
                Yep, that still sounds good to me!

Comment

Only a couple of weeks away, so I believe we need a BUMP! Who else wants to join us??

Comment

Hmmmm, on a Sunday, eh? I'm free that day so I might have to make this drive.

Comment

Have fun Wayne....I am sure it will be a run...that you will never forget !!!
                      Originally posted by bwturner1951 View Post
                      Hmmmm, on a Sunday, eh? I'm free that day so I might have to make this drive.
                      MY'03....Silverstone / Red Loaded with "Whistles, Bells & Toys"....

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

Originally posted by Looter View Post
                        Have fun Wayne....I am sure it will be a run...that you will never forget !!!
                        Since I'm going to S2K Days and possibly to the Dragon in March to see what all this hoopla is about, WTD may have to wait until another year. My Dragon virginity may be lost in 2 weeks.

Comment

Even though you may lose your "Dragon Virginity" in a week...or so, it still won't be the same as attending "Wake the Dragon" with a hundred or so "S's"......That is an event in itself !!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive @ the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to "skid" in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy sh*t...what a ride!"

Comment

Originally posted by Looter View Post
                            Even though you may lose your "Dragon Virginity" in a week...or so, it still won't be the same as attending "Wake the Dragon" with a hundred or so "S's"......That is an event in itself !!!!
                            That's by design, Denny. The fewer people at the Dragon the less likely there will be pictures of me and my S2 in the woods on a curve. They do have wide shoulders, right?

Comment

....Shoulders !!!!!! If you can find one...Please put it on a map for me !!!!!!

.....all kidding aside, you are going to have a blast down there... I wish you would sign-up for the Wake the Dragon, event !!!!
                              Originally posted by bwturner1951 View Post
                              That's by design, Denny. The fewer people at the Dragon the less likely there will be pictures of me and my S2 in the woods on a curve. They do have wide shoulders, right?

Comment

11 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sorry guys I forgot I put a thread in this section as well, thanks acdavis82 for shooting me the pm to remind me haha. I thought I just put it in the TN section and nothing was ever said, leave it up to me and my wonderful memory lol.

Trips still on guys, time and place have been set please check the original post for information. If you've got any questions please just let me know, looking forward to meeting some new people and enjoying some beautiful roads.

Comment

Is there a place where NC folks want to meet? I can't drive all the way to Chattanooga on Sun. morning after working late on Sat. night. I'm sure there is a good place for everyone to meet up since it looks like there are people coming from 2 opposite directions.

UPDATE: If the weather forecast does not change I don't believe I will be going. Right now it is saying mid 40's with Rain/Wind for that area. BOO!!
                                    Last edited by acdavis82; 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Anyone read this on the Dragon website: March14, 2010: The rock slide on US 129 is located between the Dragon and Happy Valley Road/Foothills Parkway. Removal is scheduled to take several weeks. The road will likely be blocked completely at times, but for now there is one lane open with flaggers. There is no guarantee the one-lane will remain open and as of today we know of no way to check ahead. The only alternatives are the Cherohala Skyway which got more snow this morning and US 441 through the Great Smoky Mountains. Remember it’s a long way to backtrack if the road is completely closed.

With this incident and the weather looking nasty I do believe I am going to try for another time.

Comment

Originally posted by acdavis82 View Post
                                        Anyone read this on the Dragon website: March14, 2010: The rock slide on US 129 is located between the Dragon and Happy Valley Road/Foothills Parkway. Removal is scheduled to take several weeks. The road will likely be blocked completely at times, but for now there is one lane open with flaggers. There is no guarantee the one-lane will remain open and as of today we know of no way to check ahead. The only alternatives are the Cherohala Skyway which got more snow this morning and US 441 through the Great Smoky Mountains. Remember it’s a long way to backtrack if the road is completely closed.

With this incident and the weather looking nasty I do believe I am going to try for another time.
                                        Yup, I have to agree. 40% chance of showers and highs only in the lower 50's. Throw in a rock slide for good measure and it's time to reschedule this one, imho.

Comment

Working...
                                        X