What tires would you have on a daily driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tires would you have on a daily driver

The original potenza re-050 tires are almost ready to be replaced. I am looking for the best all-round performance tire for the s2k. I live in Mobile, Al and we do get alot of rain here. Some of the local tire shop said that the bridgestone potenza re-760 and the continental dws are great tires. I am new to the car and would like some input on this. Many Thanks David

I have the RE760 sports and really like them. They don't have the ultimate grip of say the star specs or RE-11 but they are a good tire and the tread wear is 340 so they should last a while. You should also get an alignment when you get the tire installed.

Kevin

Comment

Stay away from "all season" crap...just get a nice tire and enjoy it. You only buy two at a time anyway... (after the first four of course...)

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 are the bomb!!!!

Comment

^I agree with MLC. I have been running Potenza 760's for 2 year's. I currently have around 15K on them and they are still at 5/32nd's on the rear's. They don't have the grip of S02's, but for the price, rain handling capability and longevity, they are hard to beat. I'm going to buy another set next year before the meet in South Dakota.

Comment

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 are the bomb!!!![/QUOTE]

my shoes too
          For he droveth furiously....

06 Element
          05 Silverstone
          04 TL
          73 MGB - sold to a buddy

Comment

i saw so many starspecs at dragonball run i thought we were sponsored by dunlop

Comment

Originally posted by hornfrog View Post
              Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 are the bomb!!!!

my shoes too[/quote]
              What he said

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you David.

I want the RE760s but dont want the price tag. So many tires to chose from...ugh

Comment

I read that the Star Specs can get noisy after a few K miles, true?

My RE-050's needs to be replaced soon, so I'm looking too.

Comment

I think Continential has a $100 rebate going on, the DWS are around $800. I might wind up getting these, lots of good remarks on tire rack

Comment

RE-11 or the Star Specs both are excellent

I prefer the RE-11 as they take my hi spring rates a bit better in the corners.

Comment

I just replace a set of Bridgestone RE-750's with RE-760's. I have been happy with the 750's for several years and so far the 760's seem to be as good or better.
                        Fred Eldridge
                        Vice-President, S2000 Club of America
                        MY2000 Black/Black #5185

S2K Days Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 |Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015

Comment

I'd go with the Dunlop Star Specs or the Hankook V12 EVO. I've heard awesome things from a few friends running the Hankooks on their S and they are priced right too!

Comment

I run the Potenza RE960AS all year long without issue minus snow & ice. In the snow the rear end tends to track down hill and has me "drifting" towards the low side of the road, that when i put it back in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by DDS2kFTW View Post
                              I think Continential has a $100 rebate going on, the DWS are around $800. I might wind up getting these, lots of good remarks on tire rack
                              I just did a search on tirerack and the DWS are $480 plus shipping and mounting etc. Please keep in mind this is an All-Season tire. If you are in the south and cold weather isn't that much of an issue then a summer tire will definitely work much better.

The RE760 Sports are $550 plus the extras and the star specs are $590.

My only suggestion when it come to tires is this,

This car, as you all know or are finding out does some amazing things handling wise. There are many things that make that happen and one of the biggest is the things touching the road. Here is not a place to save a couple of bucks IMHO.

Sorry didn't mean to rant .

Kevin

Comment

Discount Tire Direct

2 x 225/45/17 Hankook V12 EVO
                                2 x 255/40/17 Hankook V12 EVO
                                Total shipped = $418.

Plus there is a $60 mail in rebate from Hankook.

Comment

It seems to be alot cheaper to buy from tirerack or discount tire and have them shipped and put on by someone than actually buy direct.

After reading a few posts. It seems summer tires are the best, at least for us guys down south. RE760s seem to fit what I'm looking for.

Comment

Like I said in my first post budget for an alignment as well .

Kevin

Comment

Actually Kevin, I totally concur! It's kind of like having a high end home stereo system, but with crappy speakers.

Comment

I have the Conti DW (not S) and they're outstanding tires. Most of the higher treadwear rated tires I've driven felt greasy with some heat in the tires, but these have been great to me so far. I think you just missed a free GPS deal on Conti tires though

You also didn't mention how much driving you do and what you want the tire to do. I only street drive my S (no track days or competitive autox) so treadwear, grip, then road noise were my order of importance. We don't have any snow or days that get even remotely close to freezing where I live so I don't buy anything other than summer tires.

Comment

Working...
                                        X