• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas mistakenly drops fine for no license plates

Texas mistakenly drops fine for no license plates
    Associated Press
    Published 12:54 p.m., Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Texas lawmakers passing a flurry of bills on the final day of the Legislative session in May accidentally removed a $200 fine for driving without license plates from the transportation code.

That oversight means that fine and enforcement of penalties for falsifying or obscuring plates could disappear when the law takes effect Jan. 1.

Rep. Joe Pickett sponsored the law and has written to Attorney General Greg Abbott asking for an opinion clarifying enforcement. He argued that penalties are implicit.

The El Paso Democrat also said interpreting the law any other way could have absurd and dangerous consequences.

Abbott's office received the letter Oct. 24 and has 180 days to respond. No one asked for an expedited decision - even though the law takes effect in less than two months.

Source: Houston Chronicle
    "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
    Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Now it appears to be almost a shame that they shut off those red-light cameras... Do they have any speed cameras around Houston?
    "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
    Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

.......don't tell them. Maybe they won't notice.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
      2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
      Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Soo.... Does that mean we can run no plates in the front in Jan????

Comment

I think it means we can run no plates at all.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
          2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
          Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

While I support requiring rear plates, Pickett's argument that penalties are implicit is a crock of BS attempt to cover up his sloppy work. Laws should be enforced and penalized according to the black and white text of what our legislators passed, ex. where ruled unconstitutional. Think of what it would be like if our govt. started regularly enforcing laws based on their interpretation of the lawmakers' intent vs. the letter of the law!
            Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
            '08 Ridgeline RTL
            '02 Z06

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
              I think it means we can run no plates at all.
              I'm all for the rear plates. The front one on the other hand.... Not so much..

Comment

I hate the front plate law here in CO. Thinking of buying that cool license plate holder that the one navy guy invented.

Comment

Working...
                X