Road Trip Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip Advice

I'm planning a 2,600 mile road trip around a couple of family events - an anniversary and a funeral. The former takes us to Philadelphia, PA on 10/28 and the latter takes us to Oshkosh, WI by 10/30. I've got what I think is a pretty scenic route laid out, at least for the latter part of the trip. But it also takes us north of the border and into some rather cold climes for late October/early November. Any advice on driving my summer performance tires up there and what weather conditions might be like this time of year in places like Niagara, NY, Hamilton, ON, Port Huron, MI, Mackinaw City, MI, and Oshkosh, WI? It appears there won't be much 'top down' time on this road trip but I could add some states to my travel map. A map of the planned drive can be found at the following link.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?doflg...,19.753418&z=6

Wayne, the route looks ok to me, but I'd bias it a bit to the west of Chicago. I've driven that route through Chicago and it was not fun. Too many tolls, again and again and too much traffic. Stay further west and pick up something that will get you to Indiy.
    Not all who wander are lost...

We are part of that group of folks who have driven their S2000 more than 100,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Wayne, the route looks ok to me, but I'd bias it a bit to the west of Chicago. I've driven that route through Chicago and it was not fun. Too many tolls, again and again and too much traffic. Stay further west and pick up something that will get you to Indiy.
      Eh, I've heard the same thing about Chi-Town and didn't even think of it on the return trip. Thanks for pointing that out. I thought my detour through Mackinaw was pretty inventive though. Can't wait to cross the bridge!

Comment

Dick is correct about Chicago. It is best to avoid it. I would recommend veering a little west at Fond Du Lac towards Madison. From there you take Interstate 90/39 south to Bloomington.

Another idea if you have time is to take US23 in Michigan. This will take you along the coastline for lake Huron. If the weather is over 60ยบ you can drive this section with the top down.

Have fun on your trip!
        S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          I . My recommendation would be to go to Madison instead of Milwaukee from Fond du Lac where you could pick up I-39, unless you need to go to Milwaukee. If you need to be in the Milwaukee area, you could take I-43 over to catch I-39. Take I -39 down to Bloomington, IL where you pick up I-74 that goes into Indianapolis from the west. That is the way we go so we can miss the hassles of Chicago. They always have construction and/or traffic jams, plus the tolls, when going through Chicago. I do notice that that you appear to be staying on I-94, so that would lessen the tolls. Just my
          Enjoy the .
          By the way, the first sighting of the bridge is always awesome, even for those of us who grew up in Michigan and have traveled it many times, and driving along the Lake Michigan shoreline is always cool to see.
          S2KDays Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 | Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015 | Durango, CO 2016 | Fredericksburg, TX 2017 | SoCal, CA 2018 | Gettysburg, PA 2019 | Bellaire, MI 2020/2021

Rose Mary
          Casselton, ND

Comment

Let me know if you want to stop in INDY and have lunch or dinner or something!!!

Comment

Eh, looks like the trip has been scaled back to Philly and back. I was a bit concerned about the temps up in WI anyway but it looks like the weather will be great in Philly this weekend. Now I have to find some places to hike, other than the concrete jungle, while we're there.

Comment

Wayne,

Just to refresh your memory, I was the 02 Suzuka on your six during most of the Asheville drive. You'll be in my neck of the woods this weekend, let me know if you need local info. Hiking is not my thing but you may want to try Valley Forge Park, lots of good history there.

Tom
                Surely you can't be serious!
                I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley...

02 Suzuka Blue #407 - GBNF
                86 MR2 - GBNF
                sigpic
                It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it!

Comment

Thanks Tom. I'll be spending some time tonight looking for a late night place to eat in Philly tomorrow. The show we're going to ends around 9:30 ish.

Comment

We ended up eating at Ristorante Panorama at Penn's Landing. Nice food and atmosphere.

Here are a few pix from the trip.

Crossing the Ben Franklin Bridge into Philly

Visit to the Liberty Bell.

On Friday night, we met up with Aleksey and Yulia for sushi in Piscataway.

Went over to Front Royal VA Saturday monring. This is at Culler's Overlook in Shenandoah River State park, VA. That's the Shenandoah River in the background. We stayed up here to watch the sunset.

Shenandoah River

Evolution of a sunset, part 1.

Evolution of a sunset, part 2.

Evolution of a sunset, part 3.

Evolution of a sunset, part 4. We had to prove we were really there!

Evolution of a sunset, part 5. I think it had reached self-actualization at this point.

Sunday we drove the length of Skyline Drive, entering from the northerm terminus at Front Royal, VA.

Oh yeah, did I say we drove the S?

A partly cloudy morning turned into a beautiful day with clear, azure skies.

Wouldn't it be nice if all roads disappearedd into such beauty? Nice fall colors, better than in NC two weekends previous.

Not sure what kind of tree this is but it was only one of a few with such vivid colors and the right lighting.

Lest you think there were no curves in the road...

At higher elevations, many trees had dropped all there leaves. We stopped at Big Meadows and hiked to Lewis Falls. This is a picture of the trail near the trail head.

And this was our prize. It's an 81' series of cascades and falls.

We had a great time on the shorter version of the trip. No regrets.

Comment

Nice pics Wayne .

Kevin

Comment

You should have called us. You weren't that far away. You and Mari Jo and Justin and Chelle and YHC and I could have gone for dinner.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                        In 1912, a law passed in Nebraska where drivers in the country at night were required to stop every 150 yards, send up a skyrocket, and wait eight minutes for the road to clear before proceeding cautiously, all the while blowing their horn and shooting off flares.

Comment

Great pictures Wayne. Beautiful sunset shots

Comment

Great pictures. Thnaks for sharing them with us Wayne. It looks lik a fun trip.
                            S2KDays Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 | Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015 | Durango, CO 2016 | Fredericksburg, TX 2017 | SoCal, CA 2018 | Gettysburg, PA 2019 | Bellaire, MI 2020/2021

Rose Mary
                            Casselton, ND

Comment

Originally posted by kgf3076 View Post
                              You should have called us. You weren't that far away. You and Mari Jo and Justin and Chelle and YHC and I could have gone for dinner.
                              The planned part of the trip was Thursday and Friday; after that, all bets were off. As we were coming down I-95 on Saturday we remembered that DC was having a big rally on the mall so we post-haste changed directions onto I-495 over to I-66 and got the hell out of Dodge. I-95 from Arundel to I-495 was a zoo and I-495 wasn't too much better in places. That's how we ended up in Front Royal but I know even that's not that far from you guys. We did discover this really great little restaurant in Front Royal though - Soul Mountain Cafe. Maybe Justin knows something about it. The food was very impressive for the location and appearance of the place.

Comment

GREAT pics Wayne! It was SOOOO great to see you and Mari Jo on such a special occasion!

Comment

Working...
                                X