Father's Day Tribute Drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's Day Tribute Drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway

My Dad passed away on January 2, 2010 at the age of 98. He loved to ride along the Blue Ridge Parkway and I was responsible for driving him end-to-end one Fall when he was in his early 90s. As a way to remember my Dad, Joseph W. Turner, I will be doing a two day drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway on Father's Day weekend. My 15 year old daugther will be accompanying me, and possibly driving some if I can get her to smooth out the take-offs. It will be a thrill to spend some quality time with my yougest child and only daughter during this trip to remember my Dad and her Grandaddy, whom we both loved so much.

Although this is somewhat of a personal journey, I welcome the company of fellow S2KCA members who wish to remember their Fathers in a special way while getting some time behind the wheel on a road made for the S2. My initial plan is to drive up to the Boone area on Saturday, June 18 then to Asheville for an overnight stay. There will be stops at the Lynn Cove Viaduct, Cone Manor House, and Mt. Mitchell (highest peak east of the flooded Mississippi River) on the first day. Other stops for hiking and a picnic lunch may be thrown in for good meausre since my daughter and I enjoy hiking. Then Sunday we will drive the remainder of the distance to the southern terminus of the Parkway in Cherokee, NC. The second day will include stops at Sliding Rock, Graveyard Fields and Water Rock Knob, the highest peak on the Parkway.

If you are interested in joining me on this Father's Day Tribute Drive, for whatever reason you want to remember your Father, living or deceased, please post up. Rates for the Saturday night stay at the Doubletree are $125 excluding taxes (assuming we can book 10 rooms).

Maybes

kfg706 (Ken F)
    parkerdt (Dave P +1)

Definites

bwturner1951 (yours truly, Wayne T)
    Last edited by bwturner1951; 05-13-2011, 06:25 PM.

What a great idea! We drove the Blue Ridge Parkway (and the Natchez Trace) in our Morgan in 2006 and it was spectacular. If we lived in your area instead of in Washington State we'd join you for sure.

Comment

Group rates at the Doubletree in Asheville.

Well, I was close!

For a minimum of 10 rooms, we can get a group rate of $125/night at the Doubletree in Asheville. That's only $6 more than we paid last August at S2KDays 2010 so not a bad deal. Let's see how much interest and participation this gets and go from there.

Comment

Wayne,

If we can make the arrangements work to leave our girls, Karen and I would be interested in Day 1 and the over-night. We'd probably head home from Asheville on Sunday. My Dad loved that road and area, as well!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by parkerdt View Post
          Wayne,

If we can make the arrangements work to leave our girls, Karen and I would be interested in Day 1 and the over-night. We'd probably head home from Asheville on Sunday. My Dad loved that road and area, as well!

Dave
          As always, it would be great to have you and Karen along Dave. I guess I should start a list under the OP for tentatives and definites.

Ken, will Yoon Hee be accompanying you if you can break away?

Comment

I would love to Wayne but Brenda has already said that we have "plans" that weekend.

Have fun!!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by bwturner1951 View Post
              As always, it would be great to have you and Karen along Dave. I guess I should start a list under the OP for tentatives and definites.. ....
              Thanks Wayne! It's a little tougher with Cassie being home under house arrest, but that situation may resolve itself, as well. It would be great fun to get back on that road, and see some friends at the same time - it's been too long with Cassie's situation and my wreck; I'm definitely ready.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by bwturner1951 View Post
                Ken, will Yoon Hee be accompanying you if you can break away?
                I'm not sure at the moment, Wayne. She just started a new contract so might not be able to.
                I spoke to Corky yesterday and he said the two of you had talked. Gotta love Asheville. Hope to see you and MJ soon.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                In 1912, a law passed in Nebraska where drivers in the country at night were required to stop every 150 yards, send up a skyrocket, and wait eight minutes for the road to clear before proceeding cautiously, all the while blowing their horn and shooting off flares.

Comment

Originally posted by kgf3076 View Post
                  I'm not sure at the moment, Wayne. She just started a new contract so might not be able to.
                  I spoke to Corky yesterday and he said the two of you had talked. Gotta love Asheville. Hope to see you and MJ soon.
                  You may have to wait a bit to see MJ. My daughter Hayley will be with me on this trip. But that doesn't mean you can't drop by the house on the way back to DC.

Comment

Originally posted by parkerdt View Post
                    Thanks Wayne! It's a little tougher with Cassie being home under house arrest, but that situation may resolve itself, as well. It would be great fun to get back on that road, and see some friends at the same time - it's been too long with Cassie's situation and my wreck; I'm definitely ready.

Dave
                    I hope things do work out for you and Cassie. I'm thinking of you guys. If they do and you want to drive up to the Boone area together on Saturday morning from my place (just off US 421), let me know and we can connect.

Comment

I've made reservations at the Hampton Inn on Tunnel Rd. in Asheville NC for Saturday, June 18. Rooms cost between $134 - $159 per night. For those interested in joining me, book 'em while you can.

Picnic lunch at Mt. Mitchell followed by some hiking around noon.
                      Since the Fiddlin' Pig in Asheville has closed, that's not a dinner option.

I've decided to end the trip in Asheville so that my daughter and I can hike up to Catawba Falls on Sunday morning. For anyone interested in a real workout, it's a great hike but you have to scramble over some rocks at one point. The reward is a beautiful waterfall that few have visited because of its remoteness.

Comment

Working...
                      X