Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2KCA SoCal-NorCal Kings Canyon Rally | July 12-14, 2019

New Event Date: July 12-14, 2019
    SoCal and NorCal S2KCA Chapters meet in Visalia, CA, for a scenic drive through the Sequoia National Forest and Kings Canyon National Park. We will be staying two nights in Visalia, which is west of the national park entrance.

Event Highlights
    Friday, July 12, 2019: Everyone should plan to arrive at the hotel on Friday evening by 6:00 pm. We will meet for dinner and organize the meetup and departure for the next morning.

Saturday, July 13, 2019: We will start our drive north into Sequoia National Forest and Kings Canyon. Our planned stops for the day include National Park Tunnel Log, General Sherman Tree, Grant Grove, General Grant Tree, and Roaring River Falls. We return to Three Rivers for dinner and another night at the Comfort Inn & Suites.

Sunday, July 14, 2019: We travel south through the Sequoia National Forest and we will explore the Trail of 100 Giants and take in the views from Sherman Pass. By the end of the day we will stop in Bakersfield for dinner. Some of the group may want to stay overnight in Bakersfield before traveling home. Any lodging arrangements in Bakersfield is on your own.

What Attendees Will Need:
    National Park Pass, 1 pass per car (see below)
    Hotel reservations for at least July 12 and 13 in Visalia (see below)
    Walkie Talkies recommended. We use those to stay in communication during the drives.
    Drinking water and a good jacket (mornings will be cool)

National Park Pass info:
    Choose either a 7-day pass specifically to Sequoia National Forest and Kings Canyon for $35 -OR- an annual National Parks pass for $80 if you think you will go to other National Parks during the year (it's a great deal!). If you are interested in attending the S2CKA Southwest Tour later this fall, you may want to get the annual pass since that trip will include the Grand Canyon National Park.
    Kings Canyon 7-day Pass Link: https://www.yourpassnow.com/ParkPass/park/seki
    (The annual pass option at this link is only valid at Kings Canyon and not all national parks)

America the Beautiful Annual Park Pass Link: https://store.usgs.gov/pass

Updated Event Hotel Information
    Our new event hotel is the Visalia Marriott at the Convention Center. I have negotiated a block of 10 rooms at a rate of $120/night +tax. This is a 15% discount off of the lowest rate available online. The hotel does have a $7/night fee for parking, but we can also use the parking structure across the street for no charge.

Visalia Marriott at the Convention Center
    300 S Court St
    Visalia, CA 93291

Registration link: https://www.marriott.com/event-reser...4&key=GRP&app=
    Registration phone number: 800-798-6506
    Registration code: S2KCA

Updated Itinerary – Saturday, July 13, 2019
    1 hr 30 min - Visalia hotel to Sequoia Nat'l Park Tunnel Log (leave at 9:00 am)
    0 hr 30 min - Scenic Stop and Break
    1 hr 00 min - Sequoia Nat'l Park Tunnel Log to General Grant Tree (arrive at 12:00 pm)
    1 hr 30 min - Tour General Grant Tree & Lunch in Grant Grove
    0 hr 15 min - Kings Canyon Panoramic Point
    0 hr 30 min - Scenic stop to view Kings Canyon Panoramic Point
    1 hr 00 min - Kings Canyon Panoramic Point to General Sherman Tree
    1 hr 00 min - Tour General Sherman Tree
    1 hr 45 min - General Sherman Tree to Visalia hotel (arrive at 6:00 pm)

5 hr 30 min - Total Drive Time
    3 hr 30 min - Scenic / Meal / Break Time

Updated Itinerary – Sunday July 14, 2019
    2 hr 30 min - Visalia hotel to Trail of 100 Giants (leave at 9:00 am)
    0 hr 45 min - Tour the trees
    0 hr 30 min - Trail of 100 Giants to Johnny McNally's
    1 hr 00 min - Lunch (arrive at 1:15 pm)
    0 hr 30 min - Johnny McNally's to Sherman Pass
    0 hr 30 min - Scenic break
    2 hr 30 min - Bakersfield Hotel (arrive 5:45 pm)

6 hr 00 min - Total Drive Time
    2 hr 15 min - Scenic / Meal / Break Time

We look forward to seeing SoCal and NorCal club members unite for this scenic adventure.

Room Booked and Ready to Go
    1. Jason
    2. Roseanne
    3. Lee
    4. Stephn
    5. Richard
    6. Janet
    7. Tony
    8. Peggy
    9. Sandeep
    Last edited by 4U2NV; 04-12-2019, 12:32 AM.
    S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18

Where have you driven your S2000?

Helpful Hint
    You can order your park pass before the event. That will speed up the group when traveling through the park entrance.
    S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18

Comment

Added an attendee list to the first post.

Comment

Enjoy the beauty of the National Park as we drive between the giant sequoia trees. We will also have an opportunity to drive through one of the trees.

53A46781-EDDF-46CB-840B-A67A929FC496.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2NV View Post
          Enjoy the beauty of the National Park as we drive between the giant sequoia trees. We will also have an opportunity to drive through one of the trees.

53A46781-EDDF-46CB-840B-A67A929FC496.jpeg
          Pictures please

Comment

I did look at the typical date that the roads are opened for the season. Like you mentioned above, the roads should normally be open by the time we have our trip, but this year has seen above normal snowfall. I will be monitoring the conditions as we get closer to the event date.

The average temperatures are in the low 80s for daytime highs, so that should help cut down the snow quickly.

I do have some alternative ideas if conditions require us to alter our planned routes.

Comment

I'm in for this run. Hotel booked.
              06 Grand Prix White S2000
              08 Apex Blue Pearl S2000 CR (#363)

https://www.youtube.com/user/s2k4lifeonutube

Comment

Uh oh. 4U2NV please get in touch with Sandeep!

We *just* had to change the dates due to weather concerns and this thread hasn't been updated yet.
                -Roseanne

"Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
                California Dreamin'

​Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
                --​​​​​​ Golda Meir

Comment

Change in event date. Due to weather concerns from the greater than normal snowfall this winter, we are changing the date for this trip to Friday, July 12 - Sunday, July 14.

The date change also affects the event hotel location. There is no penalty for canceling your room. For everyone that has made reservations, please cancel your reservation at your earliest convenience. I will also reach out directly to everyone to ensure they are notified of the change.

I am currently working to get a new hotel reservation block reserved. I will post the new hotel information within the next two days.

Again, the new event date is Friday, July 12 - Sunday, July 14.

Comment

I cancelled the hotel.

Comment

Great news everyone! I have secured an excellent rate at the Visalia Marriott Convention Center for this trip. Our group rate for a 10 room block is $120/night +tax. The regular rate for the weekend of our trip is $141/ night +tax.

I will post the details for reservations once I get the link info from the hotel. This will likely be on Monday.

Comment

Well, bummer that we can't be in Three Rivers, but that's a very good price and it's certainly close to amenities like food and gas (and an auto parts store). And being a Marriott makes it a fairly solid choice.

Scenic Visalia. hahaha. At least it's not close to the freeway. Cattle land over there.
                        -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

--​​​​​​ Golda Meir

Comment

I understand Jason will be creating updated maps.

By the way, the trick to getting Google maps to let you map to a road or place that is currently closed due to weather is to change the date/time of travel to some future date instead of the default "now" option. It's a neat hidden feature.

Personally, I like the RideWithGPS site and app for plotting and following drives. Gene turned me on to that app in 2018 and I am loving it!
                          -Roseanne

California Dreamin'

--​​​​​​ Golda Meir

Comment

Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post
                            I understand Jason will be creating updated maps.

By the way, the trick to getting Google maps to let you map to a road or place that is currently closed due to weather is to change the date/time of travel to some future date instead of the default "now" option. It's a neat hidden feature.

Personally, I like the RideWithGPS site and app for plotting and following drives. Gene turned me on to that app in 2018 and I am loving it!

Even though it uses Google Maps as its basis, it is much more versatile! My go to drive route planner!
                            Gene

2001 Silverstone/Black S2000 ~ 134,000 miles
                            2005 Berlina Black/Onyx NSX ~ 37,000 miles

Comment

First post is updated with the new hotel information.

The Visalia Marriott has come through with a good deal on the room block. I have only set aside 10 rooms for this initial block. Please reserve your room as soon as possible. If we fill the first 10 rooms quickly, I can request to add additional rooms.

Last day to book rooms at the group rate is Tuesday, June 11th.

While it is unfortunate that we will not be staying in Three Rivers, Visalia does offer significantly more amenities and restaurant choices that are within walking distance from the hotel.

Comment

I'm in and hotel is booked.

Comment

Working...
                                X