Timing Chain Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Chain Issue

I have an ailing 2002 S2K in Denver, Colorado, and very disappointed with Honda. It was a certified car that needed a timing chain tensioner in March. In June it went out of the Certified Warranty, then in late August/early September we had the same noise. I took it into a local dealer and told them that it was the EXACT same noise, so it must need a new tensioner. They proceeded to replace pulley's for bad bearings and then when they put it back together the sound was still there. They needed to go to the "Tech Line" to get help from Honda and they were told that they needed to do a tear down ($1100.00) and could not tell them exactly what it was nor what they would find. I am now told that the car needs a timing chain ($1900.00+) and Honda will not cover ANY portion of it. The un-named dealership tells me that both customer service and Honda Care in a major cost containment mode and will do whatever they can to avoid any claims... so be forewarned. This is the fifth Honda we have owned and it is a major disappointment for someone who up until now had brand loyalty. Here's my view, the issue should have been looked into further/deeper back in March when they did the tensioner. Now the problem is completely mine when the sound was identically the same? Either Honda Care didn't want to spend the $$ in March, or the mechanic missed the bigger issue that was at hand. Does anyone have thoughts on this, given that there is NO set interval to change a timing chain on an S2? The car has 79K on it and any other Honda typically has a 95K or 105K interval. And yes, this is a car driven by a 38 year old woman, so forget the hot rod, redlining questions.

The very first incident involving a timing chain tensioner noise that I was aware of was back in about 2002. Back then, it wasn't known as a tensioner issue and Honda's fix for it was to replace the tensioner, open up the front of the engine and replace all the associated parts involved - tensioner guides and brackets, chain. As far as I know, today's fix for this sort of noise if it's found to be the tensioner is still the complete job.
    I feel your dealer did a number on you because no dealer would simply put in a tensioner to fix this problem. Replacing just the TCT is something that those of us who are out of warranty do to save money and get a temporary solution to the problem. It looks like your dealer did the same thing to you.

Comment

Timing Chain Issue on S2K

Thanks Repiv. Any suggestions about how to handle this with Honda? Sounds like they did the cheap fix, knowing that this could return and perhaps create greater repairs later.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukaBlueS2K2 View Post
        Thanks Repiv. Any suggestions about how to handle this with Honda? Sounds like they did the cheap fix, knowing that this could return and perhaps create greater repairs later.
        This all depends on your dealer and the regional Honda guy. Start with contacting him. I think there is a contact number at the back of your owner's manual where you can lodge a complaint and a dispute. Print off my response if you think it might push their buttons a bit. You may be at their mercy. Perhaps check with another dealer if you have one convenient.

Comment

Working...
        X