Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another S2000 Destroyed...

http://www.10news.com/news/17-year-o...vista-12282013

Why do parents let a 17 year old drive this car?

Damn that is the worst S2000 accident I've seen, the car was cut clearly in half. The driver surviving is a miracle, hopefully he pulls through.

There was a lady on s2ki.com a while back asking members for their opinion on S2000 matters because she wanted to buy her 17 year old an S2000. The majority of people suggested that she not buy her kid an S2000 as their first vehicle due to the dynamics of the vehicle and the fact that most 17 year olds don't have enough experience to handle an S2000. She got all pissy on everyone and it turned into a ridiculous thread.

Comment

17 isn't really the issue here.....
      "Speed and alcohol are believed to be a factor in the crash"

I got my s2000 at 17... Hence the user name.

Comment

damn that sucks...hope the driver is ok

Comment

Well good for you! Yes there are exceptions to every rule you may be one of them and that should go without saying. That said, statistically the majority of 17 year olds are not as skilled and/or maybe not parented well as you were to take on the responsibility. Hell there are far to many 20-80 year olds that don't have the maturity to not drink, drive and speed. And yet within this age range they still do in spite of having years of life and driving experience under their belts knowing full and well that they are not immortal. That is the difference. Most 17 year olds don't know any better. Yet.

Originally posted by s2k_at_17 View Post
          17 isn't really the issue here.....
          "Speed and alcohol are believed to be a factor in the crash"

I got my s2000 at 17... Hence the user name.

Comment

My comments are mainly directed to the lack of driver education for most teens out there. I understand that just as many old people make dumb driving decisions such as drinking and driving as young drivers. The problem is putting young drivers in vehicles that have unconventional driving characteristics like snap-oversteer. No one educates them on how to avoid driving situations that can get them into trouble, so they are left to find out on their own. I blame the parents, not the teens.

When I was part of the SRT-4 community we lost quite a few young drivers who were put in powerful cars with uncommon handling characteristics with their parents' blessings. It was very sad to see many of them killed in those cars. The parents had to live with a lot of guilt after those deaths. At the minimum parents should invest in performance driver training if their kids are going to be put into such vehicles as their first cars. How many kids under the age of 25 have ever heard of the term snap-oversteer ?, it's not part of their world, plain and simple. A little performance driver training could go a long way to saving lives.

Comment

In an effort to preserve the dwindling population of S2Ks, I propose we limit club membership to a minimum of age 40.

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
              2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
              Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                In an effort to preserve the dwindling population of S2Ks, I propose we limit club membership to a minimum of age 40.
                I know you're joking but you have it backwards. You want younger members so that you can attempt to educate them to prevent accidents. By excluding young drivers(that will by them anyway) you are almost certainly dooming them to fail.

Comment

I hereby decree that there be no further destruction of S2000s...
                  Jpn,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2007,Suzuka Plant,USA#699 - Laguna Blue Pearl

S2KDays Attended: Keystone SD 2011 | Golden CO 2012 | Hood River OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls KY 2015 | Durango CO 2016

Comment

Yeah, and if you only had members over 40, that would mean you'd have to fire 2/3 of the Board of Directors. (You did mean 40 years old mentally, right?)
                    sigpic
                    Pacific Northwest Chapter Guru, 9 years running!

Comment

Working...
                    X