X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2KCA-LA General Info and FAQ

S2KCA-LA General Info and FAQ
    This is a living document and will change as needed.

About Us:
    We are Los Angeles based car enthusiasts first and foremost! We love our S2000s. We love to drive them, talk about them, work on them, spend money on them, and wax poetic about them. Some participants enjoy low-key meets with more social interaction, some carve canyons, while others enjoy track days. We love and welcome all forms of responsible enjoyment of the awesomeness that is the S2000. Okay, yeah, I lay it on thick, but it's all good.

The Los Angeles chapter of the S2KCA organizes meets, drives, track days, museum visits and basically anything vaguely car related that sounds like fun. Under the umbrella of the national club, we promote community, fellowship, education (okay, yeah, I threw that in there 'cause it sounds good) and a lot of very serious enjoyment every year at the club's flagship event, the annual S2K Days multiple day meeting held in a different location around the country every year.

FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
    https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

FAQ:
    1. Do I have to be a paid member of S2KCA to attend events?
      Unless otherwise stated in the posted event, no you do not have to be a paid member of the club to attend events. But why wouldn't you want to be a member? You get cool stuff mailed to you, it's dirt cheap, you support the existence of the club which wouldn't be here to create events for you to enjoy if no one joined, and you can consider it your good deed for the year. And they send you a sticker. Who doesn't love a sticker? OH... and I almost forgot! Only paid members can attend S2KDays. That right there is the most important part.
    2. Do you charge for the events?
      Unless otherwise stated in the posted event, no there is no fee to attend events. Notable exceptions are events which have a cost that isn't being covered by the Club. S2KDays, lunches, dinners, parking fees at locations, locations that charge admission (like the Petersen, for instance). But we let you know if there is a fee.
    3. Do I have to have an S2000?
      Well, no, not really. But it is strongly encouraged. I mean, we love all cars, of course, but our main focus is the S2000. There are lots of other car clubs (SoCalM for Miatas, SoCal Subies... etc), but maybe you just love the people in this group and want to hang with us. How can we say no to that?
    4. What are your drives like?
      Depends on if we advertise it as a cruise or a drive. Cruises are low and slow. Think scenic enjoyment kind of speeds. Drives are usually more upbeat. I don't like using the word spirited, but it's accurate. It all depends on who is leading your particular drive group and what the purpose of the particular drive is.
    5. What's an EOQ Drive?
      It's a non-denominational spirited drive in the canyons somewhere in SoCal that meets roughly every quarter on the last Sunday of the quarter. I say roughly because, well, we seem to reschedule it a bit. But that is so we can make sure we have enough lead drivers. Anyway, all cars are welcome, but we do ask that you sign up in advance and don't just show up. We try to make sure things are well-organized and that we don't end up with some [email protected] with no one knowing where to go next or what to expect and plan for. Read the rest of the FAQs for more info.
    6. What should I bring on the drives?
      It's always bring your own sunscreen, drinking water and a full tank of gas. If you have a passenger, make sure you have some Dramamine just in case your passenger is prone to motion sickness on winding roads! Got walkie-talkies? If you happen to have two-way radios (aka walkie-talkies) bring them along because we use those to keep larger groups together and in case of road hazards.
    7. Can I skip the driver's meeting?
      DO NOT SKIP THE DRIVER'S MEETING IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME OUT. I can't stress this enough. The Safety Nazi speech is there to let you know how we run this thing, help keep you out of trouble, tell you the best ways to deal with the occasional problem that comes up, keep you from getting lost, and to address questions. Do NOT miss it or you could wind up doing something that messes this drive up for the rest of us.
    8. Where do you drive, will we stop for food, will there be bathrooms, what should I expect?
      We meet up, socialize for about 20 minutes while we wait for everyone to arrive, have a quickie driver's meeting (aka Safety Nazi speech), then drive some cool roads. We try to allow for a stop or two for scenic views, make a stop for lunch (and potty breaks), then continue the afternoon much like the morning. Drives can end anytime between 2pm and 5pm depending on location, traffic, and whatnot. Make potty breaks at the meet up point and at lunch. Because it's safer to drive on roads that are less traveled, we are frequently far away from pretty much everything. A lot of times there are NO restrooms elsewhere along the drive. So plan accordingly.
    9. Can I keep up? Is my car up to this? Am *I* up to this?
      Depends. For the cruises, absolutely anything can keep up. For the more spirited drives, we move along at a good clip, but we keep it safe. This is NOT a track day. We are on public roads! No crossing the double yellow, be mindful we are sharing the roads with other cars, bicycles, motorcycles, joggers, and sometimes even the local wildlife, coming to complete and full stops at all stop signs and red lights, keeping top speed near the posted limit on the straightaways, and just generally not being stupid. Nobody wants to crash or get a ticket, but we do want to enjoy what the S2000 or any performance-minded car was designed to do best.

A word of caution: if you are habitually crossing the double yellow line or looking like you are struggling to keep it safe, someone in the group (probably the lead car driver or the organizer of the drive) will likely ask you to please adjust your driving (or your car) such that you stay within your lane during the drive. There are some risks not worth taking, and crossing double yellow, spinning out, or impacting stationary objects (or -- god help us -- other moving objects!) is NOT something we want to see on this drive.
    10. What about Law Enforcement (LE)?
      Yeah, they are out there. They are *always* out there. It's their job. Some months more than others and you just never know when. If you are running something that screams, "HEY I'm heavily modded and cops love to ticket me," then you might think twice about putting everyone else in this drive at risk by bringing your LE magnet out for the drive. Yes, tickets have been given to members of our group over the last several years we have been doing this drive. Generally speaking, the cops don't hassle us if we aren't doing anything stupid. But that's not always the case.
    11. What is my responsibility in all of this?
      This may seem obvious, but the "organizers" of these drives assume NO responsibility for if people who go on a drive get tickets, crash, have a crappy time, get sunburned, don't like lunch, or experience a paper cut. Your car, your responsibility. We are happy to hand out free advice and tips on what to expect out there on the road, but each individual is responsible for his/her own vehicle and for keeping it safe and between the lines! We are not responsible if you screw up. We will, however, take all the credit for if you have a good time.

So if you are getting all sideways, endangering other motorists/cyclists or property, and generally driving like a douchebag, it's not our problem, BUT we will all hate you and some folks may not want to drive near you. Don't be a douchebag. (yes, I used the word douchebag. twice. no, *I* can't believe I did that either)
    12. I want to go to your event, but I'm not sure if I will have the day off or not. Can I just show up?
      Depends on the type of event. If it's a parking lot or a casual meet & greet, then that's probably perfectly fine. But if it's a drive, then No. A lot of planning goes into the drives and people just showing up (as well as people just flaking) definitely throws it off. I understand that it's rough to schedule sometimes, but we really do go out of our way to work with people and try to make this fun. But even so, we just can't always accommodate every request. I wish we could.
    13. I signed up, but now I'm not sure if I can still make it. What should I do?
      You should take your name off the list before the deadline for sign up/cancellation. Or leave it on, flake at the last minute, post some "I overslept" comment on the morning of the event, don't show up, and see how that works out for ya. (hint: I don't recommend the latter)
    14. I might have to leave the drive early because of another commitment. Is that a problem?
      No, it's not a problem! Get in touch with me right away and I'll work with you to create a plan that will get you where you need to be and still allow you to enjoy most of the drive. There are points along the various drives where you can peal off and head to the nearest freeway and I will help you locate those points. So long as I know what you need, I can help you plan. We will let the lead driver in your group know so that there is no confusion if/when you have to depart the group. At very least make it VERY clear you are purposely departing the group when you go -- hand out the window and wave so a few people see you do it.

The Pace:
    Every car forum and every bike forum ever known to humankind links to The Pace. Why? Because it's good advice. Read it. Love it. Live it.
    http://tsba.org/pace.html

Here's a pic or two to restore your sanity after reading all the above shite...

Click image for larger version  Name:	05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	1649609

Click image for larger version  Name:	04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	629.5 KB ID:	1649610

Click image for larger version  Name:	02.jpg Views:	2 Size:	233.2 KB ID:	1649611

Click image for larger version  Name:	0001.jpg Views:	2 Size:	400.0 KB ID:	1649612
    R.Murphy
    Creating Adventures!
    Last edited by R.Murphy; 07-28-2017, 04:13 AM.
    -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
    The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of. -Geri Weitzman

Great FAQ list. Extremely helpful for all members.
    S2K Days Attendee: Belterra, IN - 07 | Lake George, NY - 08 | San Francisco, CA - 09 | Asheville, NC - 10 | Keystone, SD - 11 | Golden, CO - 12 | Atlanta, GA - 13 | Hood River, OR - 14 | Cumberland Falls, KY - 15 | Durango, CO - 16 | Fredericksburg, TX - 17 | SoCal, CA - 18 | Gettysburg, PA - 19

Where have you driven your S2000?

Comment

Thanks, Jason. That's been something that has been built over the course of several years. The flavor might be a bit... well, "drive"-centric, but it is what it is. I'm not crazy enough to believe everyone will read even half of it, yet I have been asked every single one of those questions (and a few more) over the years so I include them.
      -Roseanne

S2KDays: 2019 Gettysburg || 2018 SoCal || 2017 Fredericksburg || 2016 Durango || 2014 Hood River

Miscellaneous Musings:
      The most important lessons you need to know about life can be learned from a Weeble.

Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of. -Geri Weitzman

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Working...
        X