Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Highway 22

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Michigan Highway 22

    Michigan Highway 22 is a great drive! Join it along the northeastern shore of Lake Michigan off U.S. Highway 31 just north of Manistee. It continues north closely hugging the Lake Michigan shoreline, up through the scenic Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore, and then traces northward to the end of the Leelanau peninsula before curving southward again along the west arm of Grand Traverse Bay to Traverse City. The drive isn't particularly curvy (if it's curves you want, head to the Dragon!) but what it lacks in curves it more than makes up for with scenic views. Several years ago I brought a few guys from my home in the Chicago area over for a 2-day trip, and we had a super time! I'm hoping to go again later this summer or autumn.

  • #2
    Originally posted by jeff gebhart View Post
    Michigan Highway 22 is a great drive! Join it along the northeastern shore of Lake Michigan off U.S. Highway 31 just north of Manistee. It continues north closely hugging the Lake Michigan shoreline, up through the scenic Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore, and then traces northward to the end of the Leelanau peninsula before curving southward again along the west arm of Grand Traverse Bay to Traverse City. The drive isn't particularly curvy (if it's curves you want, head to the Dragon!) but what it lacks in curves it more than makes up for with scenic views. Several years ago I brought a few guys from my home in the Chicago area over for a 2-day trip, and we had a super time! I'm hoping to go again later this summer or autumn.
    There are quite a few really neat roads in that area. Over the years we have traveled some of those really cool roads when were on a "Fresh Water Tour" with other S2000 drivers and, later, on a "Fall Colors Tour" with some of our Michigan S2KCA members. I recall several areas where we drove through a "tunnel of trees" and had a few interesting curvy spots. I have been trying to encourage the Michigan chapter of S2KCA to set up a S2KDays up there.
    S2K Days Attendee: Asheville, NC 2001 | Austin, TX 2003 | Breckenridge, CO 2004 | Las Vegas, NV 2005 | San Antonio, TX 2006 | Belterra, IN 2007 | Lake George, NY 2008 | San Francisco, CA 2009 | Asheville, NC 2010 | Keystone, SD 2011 | Golden, CO 2012 | Atlanta, GA 2013 | Hood River, OR 2014 | Cumberland Falls, KY 2015 | Durango, CO 2016

    Rose Mary
    Casselton, ND

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jeff gebhart View Post
      Michigan Highway 22 is a great drive! ...

      Several years ago I brought a few guys from my home in the Chicago area over for a 2-day trip, and we had a super time! I'm hoping to go again later this summer or autumn.
      That sounds really nice! I think if you were to post up your plans for this year and invite folks from the club, you would absolutely get some attendance from the O.K.I peeps.

      If I'm not mistaken, Greg Donegan (@tr6greg) is the Regional Director for your area. If you get in touch with him, I'm sure he would do everything he can to help in putting together a group drive.

      Some great club drives have happened up in your region in years gone by and there is no reason it can't happen again.
      *************************************************
      -Roseanne

      "Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
      California Dreamin'



      FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
      https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

      *************************************************

      "It's one thing to be a garden variety asshole. It's another thing entirely to be an asshole with malice and intent." -Nalé

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by R.Murphy View Post

        That sounds really nice! I think if you were to post up your plans for this year and invite folks from the club, you would absolutely get some attendance from the O.K.I peeps.

        If I'm not mistaken, Greg Donegan (@tr6greg) is the Regional Director for your area. If you get in touch with him, I'm sure he would do everything he can to help in putting together a group drive.

        Some great club drives have happened up in your region in years gone by and there is no reason it can't happen again.
        Thanks for the info! I'll drop Greg a line about this. He sounds like a guy who would be good to know!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jeff gebhart View Post
          He sounds like a guy who would be good to know!
          *We* think so.
          *************************************************
          -Roseanne

          "Wait... r.murphy isn't a dude?"
          California Dreamin'



          FOLLOW S2KCA-LA ON FACEBOOK:
          https://www.facebook.com/S2KCALA/

          *************************************************

          "It's one thing to be a garden variety asshole. It's another thing entirely to be an asshole with malice and intent." -Nalé

          Comment


          • #6
            I grew up in northern Michigan, and yes, there are some great roads. The tunnel of trees Rose Mary refers to is MI 119 from Harbor Springs to Cross Village. There's a great Polish restaurant in Cross Village called the Legs Inn. http://www.legsinn.com/

            I highly recommend a drive in the area. Maybe a visit to Mackinac Island or a run up to the south shore of Lake Superior to see Pictured Rocks and Tahquamenon Falls. Lots to see up there in the boonies!

            "It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain


            sigpic
            2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
            Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

            Comment

            Working...
            X