Interlopers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlopers...

As I am unable to come to the exciting event (too much going on and not enough $$$) I will be missing all of you paying attendees. However, I have heard rumor of others that have not paid that may be attempting to join in the festivities gratis.

Keep your eyes peeled and your tires burning!

Sean

Sean, thanks for the heads up. I find this disturbing, since trying to get in free cheats the very people they want to see and hang out with, the paid folks. I don't see the paid folks putting up with that for very long, and we have made plans to try to stop this before it can start.

Come on, guys. If you can't afford it, make plans for next year. Don't be a scrooge
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
    '02 S2000 NFR S/C
    '79 Vespa Primavera ET3 with cylinder kit to a whopping 135 ccs!
    Interviewing candidates for vehicle #4...

Comment

Yea, I have to agree...I think it would be pretty uncool for anyone to try and horn in on something that we have been planning for what, 8 or 9 months now? Sorry, but I don't think anyone can have an excuse when they say they can't afford it. We started announcing things about the event in February or sooner. That's PLENTY of time to put a little cash away each month and you would have had enough cabbage to participate.

Obviously, all paid members will be getting event credentials (in Mugen credential holders, btw), so they will be required to access the portions of the event at the hotel. Sondra and her team of route planners has other plans to prevent some of the potetntial interloping.

If you have any specific plans by the interlopers, Sean, shoot them my way, I would at least like to know what they are plotting.

"Live for yourself -- there's no one else more worth living for."
      --Rush, 'Anthem' on Fly by Night - 1975

Comment

I'm guessing the freeloaders are from the other board. We'll just have to stick to the old "no tickey no laundry" line.

But for the group drives... would it do any harm if they tagged along?

Comment

Actually, I can see the potential issues in terms of liability/insurance if they came along on one of the group drives and something happened. And I would say that they should definitely not be able to get into any of the organized events (vendor exhibit et al.) -- but what harm is done if they came up to one of the rooms at night to join in the party and just hang out with us? I'd guess most of them are the younger folks from Houston, and since the Houstooks are a fairly tight group that knows each other anyway, it's not like a stranger crashing the festivities. If this is about the social aspect of ownership, then I'd think we can afford to be a little more inclusive.

Just my $0.02
          "Blue Oh-Two" (#424)
          Rick's header, Hondata gasket, Mugen thermostat/fan switch, Mugen radiator cap, Aussie mirror, Lucid's rear speakers, Alpine CDA-7893R & KCE-865B, Muz's saddlebag, Windscreen Light, Modifry's glove box organizer and lots of Zaino!

Comment

There are indeed liability issues that are raised...all the paid folks will be signing the waivers of liability, etc. That part is a concern. Obviously, we don't have control over (and don't claim to) who goes into other's rooms, etc. But the liability of the unsigned drivers (should this actually take place) is a concernt of mine. If fact, it should concern everyone.

However, as we have said in many threads, this event is not about the drives, it's a social event and as long as that aspect is maintained, then we have done our job. The dinners and the exhiibit are the two pieces of the event that we have real control over. The drives, less to...then who goes into other's room? Really none at alll...nor would anyone try to make it appear that we do.

Them's my two cents...(remember what ya paid fer 'em)

"Live for yourself -- there's no one else more worth living for."
            --Rush, 'Anthem' on Fly by Night - 1975

Comment

I'm sure it's too late now but maybe for future events of this magnitude the PAID participants could be given something to identify their car - maybe something like an S2K antenna ball or such. That would make it easy to identify any interlopers that might try to crash the planned drives. Just a thought.

I certainly agree that there should be no concern about others joining the fun in non-sponsored events. We certainly don't want to discourage potential future club members who just couldn't scrape up the cabbage for this event.
              Davo

The older I get, the faster I was

'02 Sebring Silver
              '07 VW Touareg V6
              '70 Volvo 1800E

Comment

One thing we are trying to do with the drives is make the groups smaller since smaller groups are much easier to keep together and generally much more fun for the people involved. I know I've always had more fun on drives of 7 or 8 cars than I have on the 20+ car drives we've had in Austin before. If I have 8 people on my drive and 8 more people show up that didn't pay for the event that is making the event worse for the people who did pay. Why should they be punished because some cheap drivers of a $30,000 car chose not to pay the relatively inexpensive fee to participate?

Comment

[i]Why should they be punished because some cheap drivers of a $30,000 car chose not to pay the relatively inexpensive fee to participate? [/B]
                  I assume you meant "why should WE be punished"
                  Davo

The older I get, the faster I was

'02 Sebring Silver
                  '07 VW Touareg V6
                  '70 Volvo 1800E

Comment

Originally posted by photodavo
                    I assume you meant "why should WE be punished"
                    Nah, he was talking about the people that did pay and then said they, meaning the people that paid.

Comment

If you can afford to own, insure, and maintain this car, not to mention the travel expenses to Austin, the registration fee is minimal. Freeloaders def. won't be welcome @ any of the sanctioned activities (incl. the drives), b/c it diminishes the experience for those who paid.
                      Chris

'13 Civic Si sedan
                      '08 Ridgeline RTL
                      '02 Z06

Comment

So basically, if I happen to be in a group of drivers and I see a car without the standard issue "antenna ball", I should pull over to let that "frugaller" or "interloper" to pass. If everyone allows that non-payer to pass, eventually he/she will get behind the leader, than the leader can decide to let that person pass and dis-join the group.

I think I like that concept.

What I don't care for is that the non-payer wants to join in on the festivities, be it the drives or the parking lot/hotel room congregations or the group lunch, yet they don't want to pay to play. How unfair is that to the group of people that spent much time putting this event together or the organization to absorb the costs of planning with lesser returns?

Please don't let me get started on non-member, non-pays. Now that'd be downright laugh-able irony and rude at the same time. We have individuals questioning on the worth of joining a club, yet they want to be apart of the action.

If an incident does happen on one of our drives involving a non-member, non-pay, I sure hope the S2KCA lawyer and the K&K Insurance lawyer go after that individual hardcore....if an incident involves me, I know mine will (even if I caused the incident)! <----hey, that person wasn't supposed to be there, right?!

Comment

I absolutely agree. If other folks that didn't pay for this weekend want to go on a drive or something then IMO, they should organize their own. It's just not fair to everyone that DID pay and for all of the planning and time that has gone into this.

Comment

To be honest I wouldn't mind those who didn't pay to drive along. If an accident was to happen, that's why we call it an accident. It would be like any other accident on the streets. I need to know does this s2kca event cover accident on the way to s2kca days? I'm sure it should or perhaps maybe not? If so we might need to talk about a certain individual. PM me please.

-Trung
                            Current Cars:
                            2008 Lexus IS-F
                            1994 Toyota Supra
                            1995 Nissan Skyline GTS

Previous Cars:
                            2002 Honda S2000
                            2005 Lexus IS300 (720rwhp)

Comment

Trung, the idea behind limiting the drives to paying members was to keep the drive groups to a reasonable size so that those of you who paid got to enjoy it. Believe me, a group too large is NOT fun, especially when the leader can't keep track of everyone and someone gets lost. Also, a large group results in a rubber band effect at the back of the line, which contributes to accidents.

Also, if people just leap into the group, they don't sign the waiver, which is bad for the club if anything happens,.

Lastly, those of us who arranged drives did so knowing that it was a club benefit to come to this event. We did it for you guys this time around, and while there will be times that the drives are open to everyone, this wasn't one of them.

Thanks for everyone's understanding on that point, and I'm glad you all had fun! I'll have Greg PM you about the insurance, but the purpose of the insurance is to protect the organizers and participants from liability in case of an accident during the event. Personal property damage is the responsibility of the driver, as far as I know.
                              "Be the change you want to see in the world."
                              -Mahatma Gandhi

'14 Audi S4
                              '02 S2000 NFR S/C
                              '79 Vespa Primavera ET3 with cylinder kit to a whopping 135 ccs!
                              Interviewing candidates for vehicle #4...

Comment

Working...
                              X