Motorsports Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorsports Ranch

I've always wanted to run that course. Anyone interested is DE May 3 and 4? I Know its a long way but if we ran a caravan it might not be so boring. Who's up for this?

Maybe...

"It's rocket science but it's well understood rocket science." - Naveen Jain

sigpic
    2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic - Fujita F5, ACT HDSS clutch, Work Emotion XD-9, Cobalt XR3 brake pads, Russell SS brake lines,
    Mugen reservoir socks, Modifry glove box organizer, factory headrest speakers, factory Ti shift knob, S2KCA logo throughout

Comment

I went in December and vowed never to make that drive again. The course is technical but it just wasn't that much fun for me.

Maybe blackflag can chime in?

Comment

You mean Cresson? Its a "no sh#t" track. I dunno if its changed, but there are some areas where you could go off track and go flying down a hillside over HUGE rocks. Cool track, but its big and scary..... There were a couple times when I first went there where I almost blew a turn or two because there wasn't somebody in front of me to tailgate.... It takes a while to learn all the turns...

Comment

I haven't driven the 3.1 (which Kraemer refers to in his "scary" post above), but I've driven the 1.7 in both directions.

Personally, I like the track. If all you've driven is TWS, you really should expand your horizons. TWS is big and fast, but you usually have lots of time to make up for mistakes. And, if you're not the smoothest in the world with your inputs, it doesn't hurt you that badly.

A tight technical track like MSR-Cresson (or even MSR-Houston, for that matter) doesn't let you hide these mistakes. If you're not proficient and very smooth at heel-toe, for example, you won't be able to drive it very well. Overall speed is down compared to a place like TWS, but car control skills are highlighted with tighter and off-camber turns.

Plus, it's very refreshing to see a track with some nice facilities. Don't get me wrong, I love TWS, and I know that it will start looking better with the new owners, but it's night and day compared to one of the private country club tracks w.r.t. facilities. Third-world vs. first-world.

Yes, the drive sucks from Houston, especially coming home on Sunday night, but the past couple of times I've been up there, I just make it a very long weekend. Leave early on Friday, visit friends in Dallas, do the track Sat. and Sun., and then drive home Monday morning. I just think about how it is in other parts of the country, where the closest track is often 4-5 hours (or more) away.

Comment

I agree the 1.7 is very nice, but are they even running that one any more?

Comment

Originally posted by kraemer007 View Post
              I agree the 1.7 is very nice, but are they even running that one any more?
              Oh, all of the time! In fact, I haven't been able to run an event that runs the 3.1 yet--there's never enough people. (it's expensive to run the 3.1)

Both configurations, 1.7 and 3.1, are run, and both configurations are run CCW and CW.

Comment

I will be there...

Driven both 1.7 and 3.1 many times. Wenersleep hit the nail on the head. MSR requires skill and awareness. It's perfectly suited for the S. The track is shorter and harder to keep the rear planted. This is where smooth and consistent comes into play. Both tracks have good elevation change. The 3.1 has a Texas version of the cork screw at Laguna Seca. You better be pointed in the right direction as you crest the hill or things could get ugly quick. The drive can be hard after a long day. Even harder for instructors that are in and out of cars all day with little rest. Either way MSR is worth the journey....

Comment

David - do you want me or Sean to post a starter thread. I would like to do it some time this year, but will need to work around travel commitments. Those dates don't work for me as I fly to Europe on the Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
                    David - do you want me or Sean to post a starter thread. I would like to do it some time this year, but will need to work around travel commitments. Those dates don't work for me as I fly to Europe on the Saturday.
                    I never know too far in advance my travel if, BIG IF, we get Ford/Lincoln/Mercury contract again. But start a thread and we'll see where it goes. Thanks!

Comment

The may date works for me, I am going to miss both March and June at TWS so lets think about May in Dallas. I need to go up Friday and come back Sunday. BY May I am sure I will need a track fix!
                      2000 NFR - Tein in car adjustable coilovers, 2.2 liter bottom end, Hardtop, K-Pro Custom Roll Bar,
                      Custom Brake Vents, Custom Mod to Stock Seat, Backyard Special Low Mount Seat
                      Rail from Bulletproof Automotive Koyo Radiator, Oil Cooler

Comment

Working...
                      X