Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laguna Seca - March 14th '05... Let's Go!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agentmulli
    Shush! I will say, my most interesting moments were not caught on film. Perry should have had a video camera in his car because he had a front row seat for the show.

Perry took the lead on an instructional run so I could follow and learn his line. After a few laps he pointed me by. Somewhere between turn one and turn two my perception of speed went fluttering away into the blue sky and took over. I went flying into turn two without squeezing the brakes enough...instead of scrubbing off speed with my brakes, I scrubbed off speed laterally...not a pretty sight, but could have been worse. I thought, "OH !...okay, it's cool...keep it going Tim!" Okay, now Perry's traumatized but my ego was still in high gear. Now, turn three...go-go-go! I'm screaming up to turn three and, "OOOOh !" Again, slight oversteer and couldn't hold the line. I think this time I had all four tires off for a moment and a hugh dust ball in my rear view mirror. At this point I know Perry is freaking out, " He's gonna kill himself!! And worse, he's gonna wreck his S2K!! " After that, I think I recovered well but it didn't end there...I didn't see the black flag in turn 8 and went past the hot pitts.

I wish it didn't happen at all but, in retrospect, it would have been nice to see it from Perry's view on video. Thanks for all the instruction Perry!

I put about 20 more pics on page 3 and 4 in addition to the original pics on page 1 and 2. Check'em out!!

Laguna Seca March 14, 2005
    Yeah, he already told me about the tongue-lashing he gave you for it afterward. That's ok...it happens. I spun off turn 5 and hit the ditch and took myself and instructor for a wide ride off-roading. The only damage was a wheel alignment, some scratches along the bottom left side that you can't see, and a badly bruised ego

Comment

• Hi all, just wanted to say that I had a superb experience at Laguna Seca yesterday. I was impressed by the way the event was run by Track Masters Racing - very good format, I was very pleased with the download session for the intermediate drivers; it definitely helped my driving and learning the line for my first time out on this particular track. I am looking forward to more track sessions -- Perry, many thanks for making this event possible!

I wasn't even close to the limits of this great car, but it was amazing "learning" the little movements of the car as I played with turn in speeds, throttle movement, braking... I had a blast! And I was so happy with the 4th session when I finally got the courage to keep my foot in it over turn 1...and I got that eerie feeling when the suspension goes light for a moment.

Comment

• Maybe it's just me, but I didn't even think about the car being light through 1 and I don't think I lifted at all in my first session there. That part I was on edge was turn 6 before going uphill. Many people can go flat out or just lift a little, but I had to brake a bit to feel safe.

Comment

• It's very important to keep your foot on the gas over T1 if you're carrying any good speed because it settles the suspension when it does lighten up over the crest. It's kinda hairy for most n00bs because the turn (it's more of a kink than a turn, really) is fast and blind.

I did kinda bark at Tim after his lapse of focus in that one session, but it was more because he blew through the black flag. Whenever a driver goes 4-wheels off, or thinks he might have, he should head into pit lane even if there is no black flag shown. That way the driver can take a breath and reflect for a minute on what went wrong. The track stewards are usually pretty good about calming the drivers down, too.

Another important thing for Tim to understand is that, though he is unusually talented and instinctual in the car, this is actually pretty dangerous for a track rookie!!! Especially one running Hoosiers, for pete's sake! It's pretty easy to get into trouble when your innate ability to handle high speeds exceeds your track awareness, which really only comes with experience. There's nothing wrong with going a little slower in order to focus on things like throttle control, easing off the brakes, gentle steering input, looking farther down the track, and consistently looking at EVERY flag station on EVERY lap!

Comment

• Originally posted by monkeymaker
            It's very important to keep your foot on the gas over T1 if you're carrying any good speed because it settles the suspension when it does lighten up over the crest. It's kinda hairy for most n00bs because the turn (it's more of a kink than a turn, really) is fast and blind.

I did kinda bark at Tim after his lapse of focus in that one session, but it was more because he blew through the black flag. Whenever a driver goes 4-wheels off, or thinks he might have, he should head into pit lane even if there is no black flag shown. That way the driver can take a breath and reflect for a minute on what went wrong. The track stewards are usually pretty good about calming the drivers down, too.

Another important thing for Tim to understand is that, though he is unusually talented and instinctual in the car, this is actually pretty dangerous for a track rookie!!! Especially one running Hoosiers, for pete's sake! It's pretty easy to get into trouble when your innate ability to handle high speeds exceeds your track awareness, which really only comes with experience. There's nothing wrong with going a little slower in order to focus on things like throttle control, easing off the brakes, gentle steering input, looking farther down the track, and consistently looking at EVERY flag station on EVERY lap!
            Looking at every flag station is something I need to work on too.

Comment

• Perry thanks for arranging the track day. All your work is greatly appreciated.

Both Sunday night and Monday were lots of fun. The excitement at the Blue Fin the night before infectious.

Thanks again for all the hard work!!
              S2KLA/Central Coast Cruisers

Comment

• Originally posted by Vezna31
                That part I was on edge was turn 6 before going uphill. Many people can go flat out or just lift a little, but I had to brake a bit to feel safe.
                Yeah, I hear ya...I was definitely too chicken to push it -- I was in 3rd @ ~8K RPM approaching turn 6, braked to about 6.5K RPM and then chug-chug-chug up to turn 8 nearing redline. I just don't have the faith yet in my abilities to keep the turn in smooth and not chuck it into the corner -- and to freakin' brake early!

Were you the Spa Yellow running in the afternoon low intermediate sessions with the flashers on (or was that Perry)? I tried to follow to learn the lines, but it was beyond my rookie abilities. I definitely have lots and lots of room for improvement, especially watching the other stock tired S2000s walk away from me on the corners.

What I really like about the track is that the corners are very well defined, especially with the painted apexes and the clearly defined rubber patches highlighting the racing line. It's a great place to work on my consistency, shift points, braking zones, vision, throttle control...

Perry, thanks again for setting this whole thing up, I had an excellent time (my brother did too) and can't wait for the next event!

Comment

• I posted a few pics at http://www.s2kca.com/photopost/showg....php?cat=15086 with a few from the track and a few from the drive on PCH with Larry and Mike. It was a great time.

Comment

• Originally posted by eandrade
                    Yeah, I hear ya...I was definitely too chicken to push it -- I was in 3rd @ ~8K RPM approaching turn 6, braked to about 6.5K RPM and then chug-chug-chug up to turn 8 nearing redline. I just don't have the faith yet in my abilities to keep the turn in smooth and not chuck it into the corner -- and to freakin' brake early!

Were you the Spa Yellow running in the afternoon low intermediate sessions with the flashers on (or was that Perry)? I tried to follow to learn the lines, but it was beyond my rookie abilities. I definitely have lots and lots of room for improvement, especially watching the other stock tired S2000s walk away from me on the corners.

What I really like about the track is that the corners are very well defined, especially with the painted apexes and the clearly defined rubber patches highlighting the racing line. It's a great place to work on my consistency, shift points, braking zones, vision, throttle control...

Perry, thanks again for setting this whole thing up, I had an excellent time (my brother did too) and can't wait for the next event!
                    No, that wasn't me. I wasn't there this time, but I drove the track back in May. My average speed going through turn 6 was 65 mph in 3rd gear. I started getting more confident as the day went and my quickest through it was 71. I was hitting the rev-limiter before the braking zone before the crest of the hill. I wound up just lifting and then braking because it would have been up-shifting and then down-shifting right away and I didn't want to upset the balance of the car setting up the corkscrew.

Comment

• Perry do you know how to get in touch with the picture guy?

If so let us know.

Thanks
                      S2KLA/Central Coast Cruisers

Comment

• I was the Spa with the flashers on. They wanted instructors to do that so people could recognize instructors' cars and be able to follow their lines. I think I might have been tutoring Tim at the time, so if I was going kinda fast that's why. Sorry.

As for the photog contact info... I'll ask Doug for it and get back to ya Larry. :thumbu:

Comment

• I would hesitate in following Perry's line, especially at turn 9 at Thunderhill

Comment

• Laguna video

Hello Laguna drivers,
                            I have a lot of video of the B2 high intermediate group, particularly of a blue S2K that followed my silver M3. The driver will love seeing himself around the track. All of my other drivers have loved my video. He can have a DVD by sending me info about his name, car, and check for $30.
                            Great day.
                            Benny Chien, silver M3, #41
                            2615 Ellentown Road
                            La Jolla, CA 92037
                            (858) 450-9325

Comment

Working...
                            X